Congemi out of hospital X-rays negative

CFL NOTEBOOK

July 01, 1994|By Ken Murray | Ken Murray,Sun Staff Writer

Baltimore CFL quarterback John Congemi was discharged from St. Joseph's Hospital yesterday, less than 24 hours after he was admitted in full uniform with a back injury.

Don Matthews, coach of Baltimore's Canadian Football League team, said that X-rays were negative and that Congemi had not suffered any structural damage.

The seven-year veteran was hurt in overtime of Wednesday night's 45-43 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers when he was sacked by Del Lyles.

Congemi stayed in the game for another running play, then complained of pain in his back and legs on the sideline. He was immediately placed on a stretcher, immobilized with his helmet on, and taken to the hospital.

He also was hit in the back on a previous play in overtime, when he recovered a high center snap in the end zone for a safety.

Congemi is the team's backup quarterback to Tracy Ham. Whether he will be available for Thursday's regular-season opener against the Toronto Argonauts in SkyDome is uncertain.

As a precautionary measure, the team will check the waiver wire for available veterans, said Jim Popp, the team's director of player personnel.

The injury is in the mid to upper back, a team spokesman said.

Matthews said Congemi took water therapy yesterday.

Roster cuts

Baltimore placed nine players on waivers yesterday, including rush end David Webb of Southern Cal and defensive tackle Derek Steele of Maryland.

"They have been waived with the option to recall them," Popp xTC said. "They won't clear waivers for 48 hours."

Also waived were offensive guard Diego London of Upper Marlboro, center Jerry Sharp, fullbacks Jamal Farmer and Everette Sands, receivers Marcus Grant and Shawn Narcisse and cornerback Norris Brown.

The roster stands at 43 players. Baltimore must reduce it to 37 by 3 p.m. Sunday. CFL rosters allow for 34 players plus three quarterbacks.

If a team chooses not to have a third quarterback on the active roster, it can have only 36 players.

The no-names

Count Baltimore punter Josh Miller among those who hope the team doesn't get a new name this season.

"That would be the coolest thing in the world," he said, "showing the rough edges of it. They'd say we came out of nowhere and are doing what we have to to win. We'd be a great mystery."

The team was ordered not to use the Colts name by a federal judge in Indianapolis earlier this week in a trademark rights case with the NFL and the Indianapolis Colts.

Day off

Matthews will give the players today off to move out of the Towson State dormitory, then resume practice tomorrow.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.