Fireworks accident injures boy

July 01, 1994

A pipe bomb detonated prematurely in Union Bridge yesterday, injuring one of three boys who had made it, according to the state fire marshal's office.

The 12-year-old, who lost at least two fingers, was taken to Union Memorial Hospital, where he underwent surgery, Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas told the Associated Press.

The boy's name was not released and the other two youngsters were not injured.

Fire Marhal Thomas said the accident occurred about 5 p.m. in the garage of a home in the 4300 block of Bark Hill Road. The bomb measured about an inch in diameter and was 3 inches to 4 inches long.

The state fire marshal's bomb squad searched the home for additional explosives.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.