Edmund L. FountainArmy veterinarianCol. Edmund L...

July 01, 1994

Edmund L. Fountain

Army veterinarian

Col. Edmund L. Fountain, a retired Army veterinarian, died June 24 of heart failure at his Heritage Harbor residence in Annapolis. He was 69.

He developed a lifelong interest in and love of animals when he was growing up in Gloversville, N.Y., where his father bought and sold horses and owned several farms.

He earned his degree in veterinary medicine in 1946 from Cornell University and went to work for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration in Washington. From 1948 to 1949 he was on the staff at Cornell University and from 1949 to 1952, he was in private practice.

In 1952, he joined the Army Veterinary Corps. In 1960 he was lent by the Army to the Atomic Energy Commission where, as a veterinary radiobiology consultant, he conducted research on the affects of radiation on animals from the testing of atomic bombs in Nevada. He published many articles on the subject.

From 1973 to 1976, he was deputy director of the biomedical laboratory at Edgewood Arsenal, the only veterinarian to hold that position, according to his wife, the former Hazer M. Hancock whom he married in 1952. He retired with the rank of colonel in 1980.

He then joined Clemson University and was director of the South Carolina Meat and Poultry Inspection Department for six years. He left Clemson in 1986 and joined the University of South Carolina School of Medicine as an associate professor, leaving there in 1993 to go into private practice.

Dr. Fountain took advanced courses at the University of Maryland and earned a certificate in radiobiology from Reed College in 1959 and a bachelor's degree from the University of South Carolina in 1983. In 1979, he became a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.

His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Clusters, the Army Commendation Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal.

He was a member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, the American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners, the Retired Officers Association, the Elks and the Knights of Columbus.

He was a member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church iAnnapolis.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 8:45 a.m. today athe Fort Myer (Va.) Post Chapel with interment in Arlington (Va.) National Cemetery.

Other survivors include a son, Walter W. Fountain, and a daughter, Deborah Sue Fountain-DeLore, both of Highland; three brothers, Charles W. Fountain of Coxsackie, N.Y., Harold R. Fountain of Clinton Corners, N.Y., and Bernard J. Fountain of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; and a sister, Katherine A. Bologna of Old Greenwich, Conn.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Heart Association, Anne Arundel County Division, 177 Defense Highway, P.O. Box 6607, Annapolis 21401-0607.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.