No charges likely for aides' talks on Whitewater

June 30, 1994|By New York Times News Service

WASHINGTON -- The independent prosecutor investigating the Whitewater affair plans to announce today that no criminal charges should be brought against White House or Treasury officials for their discussions about an inquiry into a savings association linked to the Clintons.

Lawyers and administration officials said yesterday that, because the findings relied extensively on grand jury testimony, the counsel, Robert B. Fiske Jr., believed that most of the details about the discussions of the handling of the earlier inquiry by savings regulators into Madison Guaranty Savings and Loan Association must remain secret.

In his report ending the first part of his investigation, Mr. Fiske will also affirm the findings of the U.S. Park Police that Vincent W. Foster Jr., the deputy White House counsel, committed suicide last year. And the officials said Mr. Fiske would also announce that he planned to complete his investigation next month into the handling of papers in Mr. Foster's office by senior White House aides shortly after his death.

President Clinton's personal papers and other documents were removed from Mr. Foster's office after he died and were sent to another lawyer. In addition, several aides to the Clintons were in Mr. Foster's office shortly after his death.

Mr. Fiske's announcement will clear the way for congressional hearings to begin in four weeks into some aspects of the Whitewater case. Anticipating the announcement, the House Banking Committee this week scheduled a hearing for July 26.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.