In jail after beating wife, man asks for freedom

June 27, 1994|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Sun Staff Writer

Guy Gordon Marsh, in prison again after serving 14 years on a murder conviction that was overturned, says his wife and children need him and that he needs his freedom to take care of them.

"My wife is a mother, and only able to do so much in taking care of the children," Marsh wrote last week in a letter to Carroll Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. "They all need me, and I need them."

On June 13, Judge Burns sentenced Marsh, 47, of Westminster, to three years in prison for violating the three-year probation he was serving since pleading guilty to having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

The sole term of his probation -- obey all laws -- was broken in March when Judge Burns convicted Marsh of beating his wife, Mary.

In the June 21 letter written from Marsh's prison cell in Baltimore, he asks Judge Burns to "not only help me, but my family as well . . ."

"Now my wife and children are in trouble, and I cannot be there for them. I need to bring them home, find a house for us and get back to work with my tractor-trailer. . . ."

Marsh and his wife have been married for 13 years. During a quarrel last year, Marsh is accused of hitting his wife and throwing her against the wall and floor of a bathroom in their home near Westminster.

Ms. Marsh fled with the couple's two children -- 2 and 4 years old -- March 18. Prosecutors say she left because Marsh beat her; Marsh says his mother-in-law persuaded her to leave. Ms. Marsh and the children are now living with a relative in Oklahoma City.

"Despite what some may say about me, your honor, I have many people in the community who love me, and speak of good things about me," Marsh wrote to the judge. "I am always reaching out to help someone."

Marsh gained national attention when he was released from prison in 1987 after serving more than 14 years of a life-plus-10-year sentence.

That sentence stemmed from the June 1971 slaying of Charles R. Erdman, who was shot when he tried to stop a robbery at a Glen Burnie 7-Eleven. The conviction was overturned after a key witness admitted she had lied in her testimony.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.