Westminster water OK

June 26, 1994|By Joe Mathews | Joe Mathews,Sun Staff Writer

Westminster yesterday dropped a request that residents refrain from outdoor water use in the wake of a main break early Thursday along Route 27.

City officials struggled to replenish their water reserves after the break, which depleted by one-sixth the amount the city keeps on hand.

Friday morning, city officials extended by 24 hours the outdoor water ban.

Paula K. Martin, superintendent of the city's Cranberry Water Plant, said the extension was necessary because the loss to reserves was greater than initially thought.

Ms. Martin estimated Thursday that 10 percent of the city's stored water had been lost. But she said Friday that the amount was closer to 17 percent.

Despite the extension, Ms. Martin and other officials reiterated that the crisis caused by the main was temporary and would not be followed by restrictions on use such as those in Hampstead, Manchester and Taneytown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.