Frank J. Maguire Jr.Lieutenant colonelFrank J. Maguire...

June 26, 1994

Frank J. Maguire Jr.

Lieutenant colonel

Frank J. Maguire Jr., a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers who helped build a second airport in Berlin in 1948 at the start of the blockade, died Tuesday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center of head injuries from a fall in his Oxford home May 25.

Mr. Maguire, 87, lived in Ellicott City from 1958 until he moved to Oxford in 1980.

A native of Baltimore, he attended Calvert Hall College before he graduated from Polytechnic Institute.

After earning a civil engineering degree at the Johns Hopkins University, he moved to New York City, where he worked for the Consolidated Edison Co. and did graduate work at Columbia University.

In 1933, he joined the Army Corps of Engineers from which he retired as a lieutenant colonel in 1953.

He was stationed in Berlin when the blockade was started and it was decided that a second airport was needed in addition to improvements at Templehof Airport.

He was put in charge of the job at an open area at Tegel in the French zone.

With little heavy construction equipment available, shovels were flown in from Frankfurt and more than 30,000 people, about a third of them women, were put to work building the airport.

Though a seven-month deadline was set for completion of the project, it was finished in 120 days, and Mr. Maguire received commendations from the chief of engineers and the secretary of the Army.

After his retirement as an officer, he worked as a civilian employee for the Corps of Engineers, first in Libya, then, from 1958 to 1961, at its headquarters in Washington, D.C.

His wife, the former Mary Corinne Clarke, died in 1985.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Friday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.

He is survived by three sons, Frank J. Maguire III of Burke, Va., William Clarke Maguire of Greenbelt and John Ridgely Clarke Maguire of Baltimore; three daughters, Corinne Kirk Maguire Funk of Baltimore, Susan Maguire Teifert of Boston and Mary Clare Morris Maguire of Norton, Mass.; two sisters, Lucille Maguire Carozza and Ellen Carroll Maguire Blume, both of Catonsville; and nine grandchildren.

Thomas Alexander Sr.

Forklift operator

Thomas J. Alexander Sr., a retired forklift operator who drove a cab in Baltimore for 20 years and was active in church work, died Tuesday after a heart attack at his West Baltimore home. He was 73.

Mr. Alexander retired about 10 years ago as a forklift operator after working 40 years for the Coca-Cola Bottling Co.

He began driving a Yellow Cab in the late 1940s.

The native of Wise, N.C., moved to Baltimore when he was 18. He served in the Army during World War II.

He was a former trustee and usher at Fulton Baptist Church, 1620 W. North Ave., where services were to be held at 7:30 p.m. today.

Mr. Alexander is survived by his wife, the former Irene Lee; a daughter, Sheila Alexander Gibson of Fort Monmouth, N.J.; a son, Thomas J. Alexander Jr. of Baltimore; four sisters, Lucille Mayo of Baltimore, Catherine Smith of Richmond, Va., Hazel Coleman of New York City and Ann Marie Shaw of Norlina, N.C.; a brother, Joe Louis Alexander of New York City; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Vernon Robinson Sr.

Retired postal worker

Vernon L. Robinson Sr., a retired postal worker and former teacher, died June 13 at St. Elizabeth's Home for Nursing Care, after a stroke.

Mr. Robinson, who was 84 and lived in Lochearn, retired in 1984 from the accounting department of the Baltimore post office after 44 years as a postal worker.

Earlier, he taught industrial arts in Baltimore public schools.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Douglass High School and of what is now Coppin State College before earning a bachelor's degree from Morgan State University and studying at Howard University.

He had been a member of St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church and of the Mount Holly Neighborhood Improvement Association. He also had volunteered at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

He was a track and field fan and made yearly trips to Philadelphia for the Penn Relays at Franklin Field and to New York for the Melrose Games at Madison Square Garden.

His first wife, the former Lucia Harper, died in 1968.

He is survived by his wife, the former Catherine Brown; three sons, Vernon L. "Ben" Robinson and John Robinson, both of New York City, and Roderick Robinson of Vienna, Va; five daughters, Zoe Robinson of Gaithersburg, Grace Robinson of Falls Church, Va., Sally Sharp of Guinea, Linda Anku of Philadelphia and Leslie Latouche of Miami; a stepson, Chewanney Brown of Washington; a stepdaughter, Treva Carroll of Indianapolis; two brothers, Elwood and Adrian Robinson, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Eleanor Taylor of Baltimore and Delores Robinson of San Francisco; and three grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered June 17 at the Roman Catholic Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.