Suspect in student's death captured

June 18, 1994|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writer Michael James contributed to this story.

A 19-year-old Northeast Baltimore man -- wanted by city police in the killing of a Towson State University student in September -- was captured by Harford County sheriff's deputies late Thursday after a routine drunken driving stop and brief chase, authorities said yesterday.

Davon Antonio Neverdon of the 2400 block of Bridgehampton Drive was being held at the Harford County Detention Center yesterday in lieu of $150,000 bond, said Capt. Marlin L. Mills of the sheriff's office.

City police filed a detainer yesterday so the suspect will be held to answer warrants on murder and drug distribution charges in Baltimore, the captain said.

In March, Mr. Neverdon became the primary suspect in the Sept. 2 robbery and slaying of Joel J. Lee, 21, a computer science major. He was the subject of a nation-wide alert after it was believed he may have fled the state, possibly to Kentucky, according to police.

City police investigators said Mr. Lee was looking for a friend's house to borrow a book when he was accosted by four teen-agers in a parking lot outside the Dutch Village Apartments in the 7000 block of McClean Blvd.

Police said money was demanded of Mr. Lee and he was shot below the right eye with a .25-caliber pistol.

"I'm so relieved they have finally caught him," said Mr. Lee's father, Kenneth Lee of Ellicott City. "He has to face the consequences for what he has done. I'm going to the cemetery every day in grief. My son died at the hands of merciless criminals."

On Thursday, Mr. Neverdon was arrested on a charge of assaulting a deputy sheriff after a brief foot chase in Forest Hill about 10 p.m., the captain said.

Captain Mills said Mr. Neverdon was a passenger in a car that Deputy 1st Class John Brosseau saw driving erratically on Grier Nursery Road north of Forest Hill. The deputy stopped the car, driven by Eric Dewitt Dunsen, 35, of Bel Air.

While the deputy was questioning Mr. Dunsen away from the car, another passenger in it, Anthony Hill, 38, of White Marsh, drove away with Mr. Neverdon, he said.

Mr. Dunsen was charged with driving while intoxicated and was released on his own recognizance, Captain Mills said.

Mr. Hill was charged with assaulting a deputy and obstruction of justice. He was held in lieu of $2,500 bond, the captain said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.