Walter D. PinkardReal estate executiveWalter D. Pinkard...

June 17, 1994

Walter D. Pinkard

Real estate executive

Walter D. Pinkard, who was for many years chairman of the board of W. C. Pinkard & Co., a commercial real estate firm, died Wednesday of cancer at the Stella Maris Hospice. The Ruxton resident was 75.

He had been associated with the firm, which was started by his father in 1922, since the end of World War II. He had been chairman of the board since 1978.

At the end of 1993, the company, which is affiliated with Colliers International Property Consultants, changed its name to Colliers Pinkard.

Mr. Pinkard was a member of the Society of Industrial Realtors, the Citizens Planning and Housing Association, the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors and the Mortgage Bankers Association.

He had been on the boards of the Savings Bank of Baltimore and the Washington Corp., a real estate firm.

He had been a member of the Maryland Health and Higher Education Commission, and of the boards of the Maryland Institute, College of Art, the Maryland Historical Society, Good Samaritan Hospital, United Cerebral Palsy, the Children's Rehabilitation Institute -- now merged into the Kennedy-Krieger Institute -- and Union Memorial Hospital.

At Union Memorial, he was chairman of the building committee when the first sections of the hospital's new buildings were built.

Mr. Pinkard was born in Harford County and reared in Baltimore. He was a 1937 graduate of the Gilman School and a 1941 graduate of Princeton University.

He was an Army field artillery officer during World War II, attaining the rank of major.

He was owner or part-owner of several race horses. Mr. Pinkard was a past president of the Elkridge Club and a member of the Maryland Club and the Center Club.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

In 1949, Mr. Pinkard married Anne McEvoy Merrick, who survives him. Other survivors include four sons, Walter D. Pinkard Jr. and Gregory C. Pinkard, both of Baltimore, Robert M. Pinkard of Bethesda and Peter M. Pinkard of Royal Oak; and nine grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Ruxton. William J. Wagner, a retired engineer, died Tuesday at the Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis of complications after surgery. He was 74 and had lived in the Chartwell area for 32 years.

He retired in 1986 after 33 years at the Westinghouse Electric Corp.'s plant at Baltimore-Washington International Airport.

He was born in Sparrows Point and graduated from Sparrows Point High School. He was a staff sergeant in the 1st Marine Air Wing in the South Pacific during World War II.

After the war, he worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant.

In 1953, he graduated from the University of Maryland with a degree in physics and electronic engineering. He was a charter member of the Chartwell Golf and Country Club.

Services were planned for 10 a.m. today at the Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road, Severna Park.

He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Joan; a son, Joseph H. Wagner of Millersville; a daughter, Cynthia M. Neely of Virginia Beach, Va.; and two grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.