2 boys survive 90 mph crash of stolen car

June 17, 1994|By Melody Simmons | Melody Simmons,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writer William F. Zorzi Jr. contributed to this article.

Two Carroll County teen-agers were seriously injured yesterday when the stolen sports car in which they were riding crashed on the Eastern Shore, ending a 45-mile chase that led across the Bay Bridge and along U.S. 301 at speeds sometimes topping 100 mph, police said.

The car was going at least 90 mph when it crashed into a Toll Facilities police cruiser and a tree near Barclay, hitting with such force that it ripped one of the boy's seat belts, according to police.

The driver, 17, and passenger, 16, were wearing seat belts and may have been spared fatal injuries because of them, police said.

One of the two boys is from Westminster, the other from Finksburg, said police, who withheld identities because both are juveniles.

Police said the sports car had been taken from a garage at a Westminster house early yesterday. The owner was not aware )) that the car had been taken until state police officers called him later yesterday, officers said.

The speeding vehicle was stopped initially by a state trooper on Gov. William Donald Schaefer's security force about 6:05 a.m. on Interstate 97 near U.S. 50, west of Annapolis.

The pursuit ended 31 minutes later when the sports car collided with a Toll Facilities police cruiser on U.S. 301 just north of Route 302 and about 10 miles north of Centreville.

Both youths were air-lifted to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where each was reported in serious but stable condition with undisclosed injuries.

Trooper William Pallozzi, one of 15 troopers assigned to guard Governor Schaefer, said he had been going to work when the small car sped past his unmarked Ford Taurus at 90 mph on Interstate 97. The trooper said he pursued it at high speeds and pulled the car over near U.S. 50 and asked for identification.

"They seemed nervous." said Trooper Pallozzi. "I asked them who owned the car, and the passenger said it was his aunt. I asked them again. They just looked at each other. I asked them again, and [the driver] put it into gear and took off." The trooper again gave chase.

The fleeing vehicle, a 1988 Toyota two-door sports car, sped through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge's toll booths, the trooper said.

Once the sports car and the pursuing trooper's Taurus got to the Eastern Shore, troopers from Centreville and Toll Facilities police joined the chase. Trooper Pallozzi's car soon ran out of fuel.

The chase ended on U.S. 301 after the sports car and a Toll Facilities police car collided, the sports car sliding across the median, across the highway's south-bound lanes and into a tree.

The toll officer was not injured.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.