'Slick' McGill is too tricky for Duncan, gains decision

June 10, 1994|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,Sun Staff Writer

Ohio welterweight Richard McGill had "Slick" stitched on the waistband of his ring trunks, and then showed Baltimore rival Wade Duncan it was more than a boast in the eight-round main event at Martin's West last night.

After surviving a flash knockdown in the fourth round and a nasty cut over his right eye, the slender McGill proved too clever and elusive for the plodding Duncan, who was kept off balance the last four rounds.

In gaining a split decision, McGill (8-0-1) scored with right-hand leads and crisp combinations. He also stifled Duncan's power by tying him up on the inside.

Referee Karl Milligan gave Duncan (11-2-2) a surprising 76-75 edge in the scoring, and judges Jody Wingfield and Ray Klingmeyer gave McGill a 77-74 margin.

Promoter Stuart Satosky's seven-bout card drew an estimated 1,700.

Despite losing two points for low blows in the third and fifth rounds, Landover middleweight Andrew Council (18-2-2), won a split decision over Aaron McLaurine (12-8) of Lima, Ohio. Council forced the action in repeating his majority decision over McLaurine in Washington last month.

There were some scary moments after promising Baltimore welterweight Kenny Blackston (4-1) knocked out Alphonso Dyer (9-8), of Washington, with a bristling left hook at 2:38 of the first round of a scheduled six-rounder.

Dyer's head bounced hard off the canvas. Referee Leo Schumacher did not bother to count, calling for immediate assistance from ring physician Darrell Gray. After several

minutes, Dyer was helped to his corner, but left the ring, his legs rubbery.

Blackston had replaced Eddie Van Kirk as Dyer's opponent when Van Kirk could not make weight.

Baltimore light-heavyweight Courtney Butler remained unbeaten (4-0-1) by pummeling Roy Payne (4-7-3) of Temple Hills.

Landover super-middleweight Allen Watts (4-1) opened the seven-bout card by stopping Walter Linkins (1-1), of Laurel, at 1:32 of the third round.

Loch Raven featherweight Terry Smith (4-1) did his best fighting after referee Larry Barrett stopped his scheduled four-round match with Junius Newton (2-0), of Washington, awarding Newton a TKO at 1:59 of the second round.

Crofton welterweight Jeff Passero, 34, (20-7), who had been out of the ring for 10 years, stunned Matt Phillips (6-6), of Easton, Pa., with a lopping right early in the second round, and the fight

was stopped.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.