Man guilty of shooting ex-girlfriend

June 10, 1994|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Sun Staff Writer

William Richard Bollinger, a Taneytown carpenter who never disputed that he sneaked into his former girlfriend's house with a loaded gun, was convicted yesterday of attempting to kill her.

A Carroll County jury deliberated for more than nine hours over two days before convicting Bollinger, 50, of attempted second-degree murder, assault with intent to murder and burglary. He was acquitted of the most serious charge -- attempted first-degree murder -- which could have put him in prison for life.

Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr., who presided over the three-day trial, revoked Bollinger's $150,000 bail and ordered him held at the Carroll County Detention Center until he is sentenced Sept. 12. He could go to prison for up to 50 years.

Assistant State's Attorney Christy McFaul, who told the jury in closing arguments that Bollinger had "run out of excuses" for shooting his ex-girlfriend, could not be reached for comment after the verdicts.

By acquitting him of attempted first-degree murder, the jury of nine men and three women said that although Bollinger intended to kill the woman, his actions were not premeditated.

Bollinger, who took the stand for more than two hours Wednesday, did not dispute that he entered the Keymar home of Faye Virginia Glass, 34, on the morning of Oct. 20. He admitted grabbing a loaded .38-caliber revolver from his tool box before heading to Ms. Glass' bedroom, where she was napping.

He said the gun -- which he had never used before -- was simply meant to make her explain why she had broken off their tumultuous relationship two weeks earlier.

Bollinger told the jury that he felt abused and destroyed by Ms. Glass.

The two met in August 1992, and Mr. Bollinger moved into Ms. Glass' home in May 1993. He testified that the couple often disagreed about money.

Bollinger took the gun so that Ms. Glass "would shut up and listen," he testified.

Ms. Glass was shot once in the chest as she tried to pull a blanket over her head, according to testimony. She spent a month at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Throughout the trial, Bollinger did not deny stalking Ms. Glass for two weeks after she told him to move out of her home. He never denied driving to her house the morning of Oct. 20 after her two children went to school. And he did not deny pointing the gun toward Ms. Glass' bedroom.

His attorney, Mark VanBavel of Baltimore, argued that his client did not intend to kill or hurt Ms. Glass. He told the jury that while his client's way of persuading Ms. Glass to talk to him was "stupid" and "immature," the shooting of Ms. Glass was purely accidental.

Mr. VanBavel could not be reached for comment.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.