Revenue, private donations fall short Annapolis cancels Fourth of July fireworks

June 09, 1994

Fourth of July in Annapolis will have less spark than usual this year.

The city has officially announced that it hasn't enough money to put on a fireworks display.

Although the city decided months ago that it could not afford the $50,000 show, the mayor delayed making an official announcement in hopes that somehow the money could be found.

Businesses and citizens did offer to make donations, but as time passed, it seemed increasingly unlikely that the city would be able to come up with all of the money needed, said city spokesman Tom Roskelly.

He said the primary concern was that the city would not have enough to pay the $24,000 in police overtime.

The city will still have a Fourth of July parade, however.

Mr. Roskelly said the city officials decided they could afford approximately $1,000 to pay for police protection during the parade, which will start at 10 a.m.

Anticipating a tight budget next year as well, the city is asking for donations for fireworks then.

2 men arrested on drug charges

Annapolis police investigating drug trafficking in the Bay Ridge Gardens apartments arrested two men on drug charges Tuesday, city police said yesterday.

According to police reports, officers in the area about 12:45 p.m. saw one of the suspects hollow out a cigar and put drugs inside it. The same suspect handed money to the other.

Police searched a vehicle near the men and found three grams of crack cocaine valued at $300, 3.5 grams of marijuana valued between $30 and $40 and $1,223 in cash. Officers seized the car where the drugs were found.

Police arrested Diriki T. Scott, 19, of the first block of Belle Court and Traavon R. Lewis, 19, of the first block of Bens Drive. They were charged with possession of drugs, possession with intent to distribute and possession of drugs near a school zone. They were being held on $25,000 bond in the county jail.

Man is stabbed, beaten with bat

A 24-year-old Annapolis man was stabbed in the arms and hit in the head with a baseball bat in a dispute Tuesday afternoon, city police said.

Michael Johnson of the 2000 block Forest Drive told police that three men in a car stopped him in the first block of Carver St. about 3 p.m. and accused him of breaking a gold chain belonging to one of them.

The driver of the vehicle pulled out a knife, and Mr. Johnson tried to run. He told police that he fell and the driver stabbed him in both arms, and one of the passengers in the car hit him in the head with a baseball bat before fleeing.

Mr. Johnson was treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.