Guilty plea entered in police chase

June 08, 1994|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Sun Staff Writer

A 21-year-old Glen Burnie man who led police on a high-speed chase that ended when he tried to run down an officer pleaded guilty to assault yesterday in Anne Arundel Circuit Court.

In exchange for the plea, prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges of assault with intent to murder against Alan W. Shifflett, who lives in the 100 block of Whip Lane. Shifflett pleaded guilty to assault with intent to avoid lawful apprehension, fleeing and eluding police, and driving while intoxicated.

He faces up to 15 years in prison, and will be sentenced July 18 by Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. He remains at the county jail.

William C. Mulford II, assistant state's attorney, said the incident began shortly after 3:30 a.m. Jan. 1 when Shirley Taylor of Telegraph Road, Severn, called police and told them Shifflett was drunk and had taken their 17-month-old daughter for a ride in his pickup truck.

"She was worried about the baby's safety," Mr. Mulford said.

About a half-hour later, police stopped the truck at the intersection of Route 170 and Quarterfield Road. Mr. Shifflett's eyes were bloodshot, his speech was slurred and he smelled of liquor, Mr. Mulford said.

Shifflett refused police orders to get out of the truck and sped off, leading police on a brief chase that ended in a snowy field next to Ms. Taylor's home, Mr. Mumford said.

Officers Dennis Stackewicz and Gerald Jones pulled their patrol cars into the path of Shifflett's truck, and Officer Jones got out and ordered Shifflett to stop.

Shifflett instead tried to run him over, then rammed the side of Officer Stackewicz' patrol car. He refused orders to get out of the truck, refused to open his truck window and kept his hands tucked between his legs, giving an impression he had a weapon, Mr. Mulford said.

Officer Jones drew his gun and ordered Shifflett out the truck, Mr. Mulford said. He fired off one shot that grazed Shifflett's wrist as the defendant jerked his truck door open, he said.

The officer was trying to holster his weapon and was being jostled from behind when the shot went off, he said. Shifflett was treated for minor injuries from the wound at North Arundel Hospital.

The child was not injured.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.