A Forest Hill custom cabinetmaking business was severely damaged Wednesday by a three-alarm blaze when sawdust accidentally ignited during a sanding operation, fire authorities said.
Canatella Inc., in the 2700 block of Putnam Road off Route 165, was engulfed in flames when the first alarm sounded at 3:19 p.m., said Bob Thomas, deputy chief state fire marshal. About 125 volunteers and 41 pieces of equipment from Jarrettsville, Bel Air, Fallston, Joppa-Magnolia, Kingsville, Jacksonville, Delta-Cardiff and Fawn Grove, Pa., fought the fire in the three-story, concrete-block building.
Three firefighters were taken to Fallston General Hospital and later released. "One had an asthma attack, and the other two suffered heat exhaustion," said Ben Kurtz, chief of the Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company.
Damage to the building and contents was estimated at $50,000, Mr. Thomas said.
The fire was discovered by owner Jonathan Canatella and two employees, Chief Kurtz said. The second and third alarms were sounded because of the intense heat, he said.
"I knew we would need more manpower to rotate crews in and out of the building," he said.
The fire was brought under control within an hour, but crews were on the scene for two more hours.
"The sawdust is collected through air vents into a bin that looks like a silo, and we had to make certain there weren't any lingering sparks that could flare up," the chief said.
The building also was used to store several antique cars on the first level. The cars were not damaged, Chief Kurtz said.