2 Finksburg men charged in sex abuse of children jump bail, prosecutors say

June 02, 1994|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Sun Staff Writer

Two former Finksburg men awaiting trial on charges of sexually abusing their four foster children have jumped bail and disappeared, Carroll prosecutors said yesterday.

Samuel Lee Glover and Marshall Monquie Kirkpatrick left their current home, a mobile home on Osborne Road in Reisterstown, two to three weeks ago, prosecutors said in a bond revocation motion filed yesterday in Carroll Circuit Court. They were said to be headed south.

The two men were arrested on the abuse charges in February and were held in the Carroll County Detention Center until Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. lowered their bonds to $5,000 each in March.

Both men posted $500 cash bonds -- following the court's requirement that they post 10 percent of the $5,000 -- March 3, and were being supervised by the Division of Parole and Probation.

Carroll State's Attorney Thomas E. Hickman informed the FBI of the pair's apparent flight in a letter that was included as an exhibit in support of the bail revocation motion.

"Investigation by Maryland State Police reveals that the co-defendants have fled the area in order to avoid prosecution," Mr. Hickman said in the letter. "They may be in the Louisiana or Mexico areas."

The last time the pair's parole agent heard from them was May 3. State police investigators, who were seeking to serve Mr. Glover and Mr. Kirkpatrick with copies of additional sex abuse charges, learned of their apparent disappearance Friday when Mr. Kirkpatrick failed to appear in Carroll District Court to face trial on a cocaine possession charge.

The parole agent, Andre Thomas, did not notify prosecutors or Judge Burns of the pair's failure to report on May 3, May 10 or May 24, the revocation motion said.

Mr. Thomas did write a letter to the court May 27 after state police discovered that the pair's trailer was empty, the motion said. Mr. Thomas declined to comment yesterday.

Prosecutors and state police investigators were baffled that two people charged with felonies that could land them in jail for more than 100 years were able to slip away. According to parole and probation guidelines included in the bond motion, everyone involved in the case did what they were supposed to do, but the two still were apparently able to flee.

Judge Burns, in reviewing bonds that were as high as $75,000 for Mr. Glover, lowered the amount both men would be required to post after listening to testimony from friends, employers and arguments by defense attorneys.

Mr. Glover and Mr. Kirkpatrick were placed on standard pretrial supervision, which, parole and probation guidelines say, call for weekly telephone contact with a parole agent. From March 3 to May 3, Mr. Thomas received a weekly phone call from each man.

"It's frustrating," said Cpl. Wayne Moffatt, one of the investigators in the case. "They don't have anything to lose. If it were me, I'd be out of here, Jack. I'd be out of here in a minute."

Assistant State's Attorney Kathi Hill, who filed the revocation motion, said she was unaware of the state's pretrial reporting procedure.

"Obviously, there are gaps in the system," she said.

The two emptied their trailer "two to three weeks ago," their neighbor, Rose Gill, told state police investigators. Ms. Gill declined to talk to a reporter yesterday.

Police said Ms. Gill and friends and co-workers of the two men said the pair left town in a copper-colored Ford F-150 pickup with a camper on the back. Mr. Kirkpatrick's friends told police that he was talking about changing his appearance and going to Mexico.

M. Gordon Tayback, Mr. Glover's court-appointed attorney, could not be reached yesterday. Martha Ann Sitterding, Mr. Kirkpatrick's public defender, declined to comment.

Mr. Glover, 46, and Mr. Kirkpatrick, 29, met more than 10 years ago after Mr. Kirkpatrick placed a personal ad in a Baltimore magazine, court records and associates of the men said. The two had a stormy relationship at times, but, according to testimony at their bail review hearing, they were dedicated to each other.

They lived in Finksburg between 1989 and 1992, records say, where Mr. Glover cared for at least a half-dozen foster children.

The pair moved from Finksburg to Cabool, Mo., about two years ago to open a recreational vehicle park, according to a woman who said she agreed to join Mr. Glover in the business venture. But she said the park never opened.

The woman -- who still lives in the small southern Missouri town about 70 miles east of Springfield -- said she spent her entire retirement fund on the failed venture before Mr. Glover and Mr. Kirkpatrick returned to Maryland. She asked yesterday that her name not be used.

Her account matches that found in state police reports.

"I came out here as a partner, I trusted Sam," the woman said in a telephone interview from her home in Cabool. "And they just leave me sitting here in the middle of Missouri."

She described Mr. Glover's relationship with Mr. Kirkpatrick as often violent. "Sam could get real physical at times," she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.