Murder suspect, 15, out on $25,000 bail

June 01, 1994|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Sun Staff Writer

A 15-year-old Lansdowne youth who allegedly supplied the gun used to kill another teen-ager May 16 was freed from the Anne Arundel county jail yesterday after his aunt put up her house to cover his $25,000 bond.

Paul E. Carder of the 3100 block of Ryerson Circle was released pending his trial on a charge of first-degree murder for his role in the slaying of Raymond Childress IV. He had been held on a no-bail status since his arrest May 24 and will be under house arrest.

Judge Martin A. Wolff set bond after Mr. Carder's lawyer, T. Joseph Touhey Jr., said that the youth posed no risk of flight. Mr. Touhey said that his client has no driver's license and surrendered to police within 24 hours of the killing.

He also said the state does not believe Mr. Carder is the alleged gunman and that the prosecution's case centers on him allegedly supplying the gun.

Another Lansdowne youth, Mark Anthony Wheelton, 17, of the 3200 block of Gorham Court, also has been charged as an adult with first-degree murder. Police believe he shot Mr. Childress, 19, once in the head in a dispute over a girl. The shooting occurred around 11:10 p.m. May 16 near the intersection of Hammerlee Road and Sunset Drive in Glen Burnie.

About 10 days before the slaying, Mr. Carder agreed to loan Mr. Wheelton his father's .25-caliber handgun, according to a statement Mr. Carder gave police.

Mr. Carder allegedly said he and Mr. Wheelton drove to the neighborhood of Mr. Wheelton's former girlfriend the night Mr. Childress was killed. When they found Mr. Childress, Mr. Wheelton walked up to him and shot him, according to Mr. Carder's statement.

"Mark said, 'I did it, I did it.' I was happy that he did it," Mr. Carder told police.

In court papers, Mr. Touhey said Mr. Carder had one juvenile conviction for theft in 1993. He faces a hearing in juvenile court pTC for an assault and battery charge stemming from a fight at the Catonsville Alternative Center, where he is enrolled.

Mr. Carder lives with his parents.

Judge Wolff said he based his decision on factors such as the defendant surrendering to police, his age and that he has always made scheduled court appearances. Still, his decision angered the victim's family.

"I'm appalled that he's out. It just blows my mind," said Melanie Thompson, the victim's mother.

She said she respects the court and the judge, but disagrees with the decision, even if Mr. Carder is kept under house arrest.

"I know he's not out on the street. But he's free in his own house, and my son is gone. He doesn't have any freedom," she said.

She said she still has trouble believing that her son, a well-liked graduate of Old Mill High School, is dead.

"It's like this is a nightmare, and I'm going to wake up tomorrow and none of it will be true," she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.