Gun used in slaying may be stolen police pistol

June 01, 1994|By Michael James | Michael James,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writer Alex Gordon contributed to this article.

The gun used to kill a West Baltimore man yesterday may have been the same 9 mm Glock police pistol stolen from a city officer who was shot last week in a fight with suspected drug dealers, police said.

Police radio broadcasts warned patrol officers yesterday that a suspect in the slaying -- Blaine Robert Savage, 34 -- was "armed and dangerous, has a history of assaults on police and is thought to be carrying a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun with police rounds."

Investigators said they had information that suggested Mr. Savage was carrying a police officer's pistol when he allegedly shot and killed Ernest Roland Paulings, 26, about 2 a.m. yesterday in the 2000 block of Linden Ave.

The motive for the killing apparently was Mr. Savage's outrage that Mr. Paulings had accused him of robbing his uncle in a recent mugging, police said.

Mr. Paulings, of the 2400 block of Lakeview Ave., was able to drive off in a nearby car, but he collapsed outside the vehicle in the 2200 block of Eutaw Place. He was pronounced dead about 3 a.m. at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Mr. Savage, of the 2200 block of Callow Ave., was charged in a warrant with first-degree murder and a handgun violation. He was being sought last night.

Police stressed yesterday that they won't know if the gun used in the killing is an officer's pistol until it is recovered.

"We don't know if the officer's service weapon has been used in a crime, or this crime, until we gather all the evidence relating to the incident and have exhausted all our investigative leads," said spokesman Officer Robert W. Weinhold Jr.

A 9 mm Glock was stolen May 23 from Officer Antonio Leroy Murray, a plainclothes Central District officer who was jumped from behind while questioning a drug suspect in the 800 block of Newington Ave. in Reservoir Hill.

Officer Murray was shot once in the left wrist during the struggle with the man who had jumped him, although it remains unclear whether he was shot with his own gun or one belonging to one of the suspects, police said. His gun apparently was taken from him by one of the men, police said.

"The gun has still not been recovered. As far as we're concerned, it's still on the streets," Officer Weinhold said.

The officer spent six days at the Shock Trauma Center. He is recovering at home.

A suspect in that shooting, Orin Leonard Tynes, 32, of the 800 block of N. Bentalou St., was arrested two days after the shooting when he turned himself in at Pennsylvania Station.

Police said they don't know if Mr. Savage was involved in the shooting of Officer Murray. Detectives wish to question him about the crime but he has not been charged in that incident, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.