Columbia Darby rolls to under-16 title

May 31, 1994|By Gary Davidson | Gary Davidson,Contributing Writer

The Columbia Darby made it look easy.

The Darby completed a run of six shutouts in three days with a 2-0 decision over the Mequon (Wisc.) United to claim the boys under-16 crown of the 19th annual Columbia Invitational Soccer Tournament yesterday at the Fort Meade Parade Grounds.

Just as he had in Sunday's 2-0 semifinal win over the Olney Alliance at Howard Community College, Daniel Stoutenborough recorded the decisive goal against Mequon as the defending Maryland and U.S. Youth Soccer Region I champs took one of 20 titles awarded yesterday in the 248-team event. Columbia will meet Olney again Sunday in the Maryland U-16 Cup final.

Three minutes after intermission against Mequon, Robert Landolt sent a left-side corner kick in the air to an open Stoutenborough who, 8 yards from the far post, kneed the ball into the right side of the net for a 1-0 lead. "It was a great ball," said Stoutenborough, a central midfielder who scored a goal in each of four games. "I came in late . . . I just ran through, made a bending run because nobody picked me up."

Taking a touch pass from Brian West, Mike Bagrosky netted insurance for a 2-0 advantage after breaking in alone on the right side in the 65th minute of the 80-minute game.

The Bethesda Blizzard did not win the girls under-19 final, but surely received a confidence boost as it tries Saturday to capture its third straight Maryland Cup against the Potomac Montgomery United.

Defending under-19 national champ FC Hammer from Middletown, Ohio, needed 83 minutes to solve the Blizzard's stubborn defense. Jill Garlesky sent a soft 20-yard direct kick with seven minutes left to allow Hammer to win.

Bethesda did not qualify for the quarterfinals, but was added to the round of eight after national under-17 champion Connecticut Omni withdrew because of injuries.

In other finals, Sean Wray found the net in the ninth round of penalty kicks to give the Columbia Graduates a 7-6 shootout advantage and a 3-2 victory over Mequon United for the men's under-23 crown.

Wallace Chandler scored Columbia's first goals and Chris Williams tied the game at 2 late in the second half to force overtime.

Columbia Chelsea beat the Baltimore Football Club '82 for the boys under-12 title. Ian Rodway scored twice and Brent Tyson had a goal as the Columbia Strikers took the boys under-11 division, 3-1, over the Soccer Club of Baltimore Juventus. Ryan Welsh found net for Juventus.

In the boys under-10 final, Jamie Bowerman had two goals and Steven Bowen and Alex Watts each tallied one in a 4-2 victory over the Kirkwood Talons of Wilmington, Del.

Marco Filipponi scored 10 minutes after halftime to provide the Columbia Earthquakes a 1-0 triumph over the Bowie Strikers for the under-9 boys crown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.