Father, son drown after boat sinks

May 30, 1994|By Lan Nguyen and Holly Selby | Lan Nguyen and Holly Selby,Sun Staff Writers

A father and a son drowned near Sandy Point State Park yesterday after their 15-foot motorboat -- carrying more weight than it could handle safely -- sank in the Chesapeake Bay during a holiday fishing trip, Maryland Natural Resources Police reported.

The victims -- Sidney Allen Hynson Sr., 70, of Arnold and his son, David Lee Hynson, 44, of Tifton, Ga. -- and two other family members in the boat did not wear life jackets, police said.

The elder Mr. Hynson was pulled from the water by nearby boaters, but resuscitation efforts by Coast Guard officers were unsuccessful.

The son, who police said may have moved to Maryland recently, was found by Natural Resources officers floating face down in the water. He was taken aboard a rescue boat about 10 minutes after the sinking and was pronounced dead by paramedics when the vessel reached the shore.

John Verrico, a Department of Natural Resources spokesman, said David Hynson had a tracheotomy, and "that was probably a contributing factor to the drowning and any nonsuccess in CPR."

The survivors -- another Hynson son, Charles H. Bowman, 41, of Glen Burnie, and grandson, 11-year-old Charles H. Bowman II -- were helped out of the water by nearby boaters who threw them flotation vests. They were taken to North Arundel Hospital for examination and were released.

Police did not know immediately whether there was a leak in the boat, but said the combined weight of the passengers was a major factor in the sinking of the 26-year-old Steury fiberglass boat outside the mouth of the canal entering Sandy Point north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

The combined weight of the three adults was more than 740 pounds, according to driver's license information, police said.

"With four people on board, you were kind of pushing it," Mr. Verrico said. "We're talking about a whole lot of weight, and we're talking about a little boat."

Police officials won't be able to examine the boat until tomorrow. "We're not even going to try to recover it until Tuesday," Mr. Verrico said. "We've got a busy boating weekend here."

A driver on the bridge saw the family members in the water and called 911 from his car telephone to report the accident to the Anne Arundel County police, Mr. Verrico said.

The boat, which did not have to be inspected under Coast Guard regulations because it was not a commercial vessel, was registered to the elder Hynson, who bought the boat a few years ago and began rebuilding it with his son David in his front yard, according to his neighbors.

This was the first season they had taken it out to go fishing, said Walter L. Pearson Jr., who has lived next door to the Hynsons for 3 1/2 years.

"They never could get it running the way they wanted it to," said Mr. Pearson, a home improvement contractor. "But this year, they've had it out in the water fishing nearly every weekend."

Neighbors also said the elder Hyn son had heart surgery a few years ago. Colleagues at North Arundel Hospital, where Mr. Hynson was a maintenance engineer, described him as a man who always greeted them with a joke, who enjoyed working on his boat and who looked forward to retiring soon to enjoy it.

"That boat was his main hobby right now," said John Viel, who is also an engineer at the hospital. "He joked around about it. He was real congenial. He is going to be hard to get used to not seeing around here."

Efforts to reach the family were unsuccessful.

DNR officials estimated there were thousands of boaters on the bay yesterday, not only because of the holiday weekend and pleasant weather but for the closing days of the May spring trophy rockfish season.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.