Bays miss chances, fall to Battery in overtime

May 29, 1994|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

The Baltimore Bays learned last night the problems of living on the edge.

Paul Young redirected a shot by Mike Anhenuser from the right wing into the goal at 6:17 into overtime as the Charleston Battery defeated the Baltimore Bays, 1-0, at UMBC Stadium.

The Bays (2-5) have now played three overtime games, winning their first two, including a victory over Washington last Saturday.

"We've been playing good defense the past few games, but we can't afford to play all these overtime games," said Bays goalie Scoop Stanisic, who made nine saves to offset the stagnant offense. "We had chances early to put this game away. You can't win every game in overtime."

The winning goal was Charleston's only shot in the overtime and Young's eighth goal of the season.

"They broke us down on the right side," Stanisic said. "The guy turned quickly and gave the ball a good nudge. There was nothing I could do against a good move like that."

The Bays' offensive difficulties continue, scoring only seven goals in their seven games. They took more quality shots and applied more offensive pressure, but missed several key opportunities.

"The offense is playing well except we are not finishing the ball," Bays coach Kevin Healey said. "We're passing well and getting the ball in the hole. We're just not scoring as many goals as we did last year."

The best chance occurred 10 minutes into the first half when Mark Mettrick used his chest to push the ball into the right corner of the goal. Mettrick, however, was charged with hand ball and the goal was disallowed.

Then Joe Koziol centered a pass to Billy Ronson 10 yards in front of the goal with 5:41 left for the Bays' final shot of the half. Koziol's pass went slightly out of the reach of Ronson, who couldn't get a full kick off.

The Bays were also futile in their corner kicks. Ronson failed to set up any teammate on three different corner kicks in the last nine minutes of the first half.

The Battery only threatened twice in the first 30 minutes. Gary Pollonais headed the ball on the dead run at 17:04, but Stanisic easily grabbed it.

With 42 seconds left in the half, Paul Young blasted a shot from 10 yards out, but again it went right to a stationary Stanisic.

The Bays attempted in the second half to add offensive pressure by moving their defenders closer to midfield, but still could not score and started to become impatient.

Mettrick split his defenders and had a clear path to the goal 11 minutes into the half. Mettrick, however, lofted a 12-yard shot after penetrating just one step.

"Some of that happened in the second half because we thought we had outplayed them," Healey said. "I told them going into the overtime to make the most of the opportunities, but (Charleston) scored on their only shot."

The new positioning allowed Charleston to get two 3-on-2 fast breaks. In both situations, defenders Jeff Nattans and Vince Moskunas spaced themselves to prevent a clear shot on Stanisic.

"Good defense usually leads to better play in the midfield and so on," Stanisic said.

"I am looking for that to happen now."

The Bays host defending USISL champion Greensboro Saturday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.