The 127th annual Memorial Day parade in Westminster will step out at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Marchers will parade from Maryland Avenue to Main Street, east to Center Street, left on Center to Willis Street, and then right to the courthouse annex.
Formal exercises will follow at the Westminster Cemetery with state Sen. Charles H. Smelser, D-4th, as guest speaker. Mr. Smelser was a pilot with the 15th Air Force Group in Europe during World War II.
The parade and service are being coordinated by Carroll American Legion Post 31. Ladies Auxiliary members will distribute small American flags to those along the parade route.
Carroll County residents who participated in the D-Day invasion of Europe 1944 and the subsequent Normandy campaign will be recognized and honored.
* American Legion Gold Star Post 191 will observe Memorial Day at the Pine Grove Chapel on South Main Street in Mount Airy at 11 a.m. There will be a dedication of a memorial to the four Mount Airy servicemen killed in Vietnam.
The public is invited to the observance and for light refreshments afterward at the post home, 801 Prospect Road in Mount Airy.
* Ceremonies are scheduled at noon at the county Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Willis Street next to the courthouse in Westminster. They are sponsored by the Vietnam Veterans of America Inc., Carroll County Chapter 650. Information: 239-8372 or 239-6274.
* A reception is scheduled at 1 p.m. at Longwell Municipal Center, Longwell Avenue in Westminster, for survivors of Company H, 115th Infantry regiment, 29th infantry division, in honor of the 50th anniversary of D-Day.
* Taneytown will have a parade and memorial service tomorrow. Parade participants will gather at 1:15 p.m. at the Taneytown Bank and Trust Co. parking lot, at the corner of East Baltimore Street and Trevanion Road. At 1:45 p.m., there will be a brief service and wreath-laying at the monument in front of the bank.
Then the parade will proceed through town to Memorial Park for a program. The speaker for the ceremonies will be the Rev. Kenneth H. Homer Jr., pastor of Christus Victor Lutheran Church in Baltimore. He serves as battalion chaplain for a Army Reserve aviation regiment at Fort Meade.
* The Union Bridge chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars will kick off its parade at 6 p.m.