MIAA all-stars boys top Metro, 14-10, in exhibition

May 28, 1994|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

The Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association's all-star team once again starred with a 14-10 victory last night over Metro, the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association's team, in the 13th annual Lacrosse for Leukemia Tournament at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field.

"Everybody in the MIAA talks about how we think this is the best conference in the nation," said Sean Keanan [St. Paul's], whose nine-save first-half performance earned him Most Valuable Player honors. "We got a chance to prove that tonight, at least statewide that is."

While the boys game featured league bragging rights, the girls game -- which had top players from public and private schools on both teams -- showcased one-on-one talents. In that game, MVP Cathy Nelson (Mount Hebron) scored five goals as the West defeated the East, 15-13.

In the boys game, which pitted the standout seniors from public and private schools, Mark Cornes (Gilman) was the offensive star. Cornes and his Greyhound teammate, Michael Allan, combined to score four first-half goals as the MIAA team raced to an 8-1 lead.

With a three-goal deficit, faceoffs were lifted and the Metro team got automatic possession. The Metro team didn't seize this advantage until the third quarter, scoring the first three goals and six of the nine goals, to close within 11-7 with 2:12 left in the quarter.

The pressure never got to the MIAA boys. With just a four-goal lead, Brian Reese (St. Paul's) flipped a behind-the-back pass to Keith Euker (Loyola), who in turn scored with an over-the-shoulder shot with 38 seconds left in the third.

The Metro team again closed and narrowed the lead to 13-10, but never threatened the MIAA team.

"We wanted to get everybody into the game," Cornes said. "It was really relaxed throughout. I think we knew we could always handle them."

Chris Turner (Arundel), Nick Cowan (Perry Hall) and Chris Cosentino (Oakland Mills) each scored two goals for the Metro team.

With little practice time and a field full of speed, the girls game turned into a mere showcase of one-on-one moves.

Nelson (Mount Hebron) asserted herself, scoring four of her goals in a decisive late first-half run.

"It was a nice little ending for the week," said Maryland-bound Nelson, who led the Vikings to a third consecutive state title Wednesday. "We just went out there to pass it around and not to force anything."

The passing was limited to long upfield passes as the set offense was rarely seen. There were no full team practices due to weather and the state tournament schedule.

"This was just for fun," West coach P.J. Kesmodel (Mount Hebron) said. "I didn't have anything profound to say before the game. I only wanted the ball either with Cathy or [Jodie] Cowan down in crunch time."

While Nelson and Cowan [Oldfields] combined for nine of the West's 15 goals, the East combination of Aimee Vaughan (Dulaney) and Peggy Boutilier (Roland Park) kept the game close.

Vaughan led all scorers with six goals, including four of the East's six goals in the second half. Boutilier added three goals and one assist.

"It was cool to be playing with the people you played against the whole year," said Vaughan, the state's top scorer this season, who is headed to James Madison.

After more than 20 minutes of neither team gaining more than a one-goal margin, Nelson isolated her defender on the left wing.

Nelson scored three goals in a 5-2 run in the final 6:22 of the first half. Her goal with 28 seconds left pulled the West ahead 10-7.

Vaughan then matched Nelson by scoring two goals as the East opened the second half with four unanswered goals. She exploded from the left side and scored in a twisting move in front of the goal to tie the game at 10 with 1:29 gone in the second half.

Boutilier scored her final goal of the game 1:26 later to give the East its first lead since the opening two minutes and its last lead of the game.

The East then tired from the comeback and went scoreless for the next 13 minutes as the West quickly pulled away.

Kym Frey (Liberty) tied the game with 14:36 left and Cowan tacked on another score two minutes later to put the West ahead 12-11.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.