Death of Aberdeen man, 27, is tied to restaurant break-in

May 27, 1994|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

A man's body found along Route 22 early Wednesday was identified as a 27-year-old man who had broken into an Aberdeen restaurant where he once worked, authorities said yesterday.

After detectives made an electronic fingerprint check, a spokesman for the Aberdeen Police Department said yesterday that the body was that of Derwin Maurice Bishop of Rand Street in Aberdeen.

A state medical examiner determined that Mr. Bishop severed a major artery in an arm and bled to death, the spokesman said.

Evidence found inside the restaurant indicated Mr. Bishop had cut his arm on a restaurant window while committing a burglary, police said.

Officers on routine patrol discovered the body at 5 a.m. about 100 yards from the Golden Corral Steakhouse in the Beard's Hill Shopping Center by the side of Route 22, the busy roadway that links Aberdeen and Bel Air.

Police say a trail of blood led them to suspect the man had broken into the restaurant, but detectives did not confirm the forcible entry or his identity until yesterday after an autopsy had been performed.

Russell Carmosino, manager of the Golden Corral Steakhouse, said yesterday that Mr. Bishop had worked for him for about 1 1/2 years.

James Sane, director of human resources for the Golden Corral chain in Virginia, said Mr. Bishop worked as a utility person at the restaurant and was dismissed in March when he failed to appear for work.

Court records indicate that Mr. Bishop was awaiting trial on charges of driving while intoxicated, driving on a suspended license and failing to keep to the right of center in a November incident.

His March 18 trial date was postponed.

Previously, in a 1985 case, court records indicated that Mr. Bishop was found guilty and given one year probation on a charge of theft under $300.

In a 1989 Baltimore County case involving possession of a controlled dangerous substance, Mr. Bishop pleaded not guilty to the statement of facts, was found guilty, sentenced to 90 days in jail and given credit for 37 days served, court records showed.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.