Bail denied to boy, 15, in slaying

May 26, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

As the friends and family of a slain teen-ager cheered and applauded, a District Court judge in Glen Burnie yesterday denied bail to a 15-year-old Lansdowne youth charged with first-degree murder for his role in the May 16 slaying.

Paul Edgar Carder, 15, of the 3100 block of Ryerson Circle in Lansdowne, was arrested at his home around 8 p.m. Tuesday and charged as an adult. A witness told police Mr. Carder provided the .25-caliber handgun used in the killing. Arthur Raymond Childress IV, 19, was shot once in the head at the intersection of Sunset Drive and Hammarlee Road.

Another Lansdowne youth, Mark Anthony Wheelton, 17, of the 3200 block of Gorham Court, was arrested May 17 and charged as an adult with first-degree murder. Police believe Mr. Wheelton shot Mr. Childress about 11:10 p.m. May 16 in a dispute over an 18-year-old girl.

During yesterday's hearing, Joseph Toohey, Mr. Carder's attorney, tried to convince Judge J. Clayton Greene that his client would not flee if released on bail.

"He would have been gone two days ago," Mr. Toohey said, trying to prove his client's reliability.

Mr. Toohey also said Mr. Carder's "knowledge and participation was quite limited." He conceded that Mr. Carder provided the gun, but added that his client "was in a car some distance away at the time of the shooting."

Mr. Carder called police the night of the shooting and gave a statement to officers at the Northern District station, Mr. Toohey said. Mr. Carder's parents, who attended yesterday's hearing, were willing to put up their home as security to guarantee their son's appearance in court, Mr. Toohey said.

Assistant State's Attorney Michael Cogan insisted that Mr. Carder be denied bail.

"This man assisted in the planning two weeks prior to the incident," Mr. Cogan said. "[He] participated knowingly in the cold-blooded assassination of a human being. The enormity of the crime he is alleged to have committed may sink in at any time. At that point, he is a risk of flight."

Mr. Cogan also asked that Mr. Childress' mother be allowed to address the court. Judge Greene denied the request. Outside the courtroom, Melanie Thompson, 38, the mother of Mr. Childress, said she was pleased with the judge's decision.

"I don't believe [Mr. Carder]) deserves to walk the streets," she said. "I pray that when both hearings come, [Mr. Carder and Mr. Wheelton] get life without parole."

When asked what she would have said had she been allowed to speak during the hearing, Mrs. Thompson said, "I would have told Mr. Carder, 'You'll never know what you've done to my family. I hope you rot in jail.' "

Tim Bavis, 31, an uncle of Mr. Childress, added, "This is extremely hard on our family. Eighteen years ago next month we lost a brother in a tragic accident." Mr. Bavis' older brother, Glenn, was the same age as his nephew when he was killed.

"The death penalty is too good for those people," Mr. Bavis fumed.

Even if convicted, neither Mr. Wheelton nor Mr. Carder can be sentenced to death. State law does not allow the execution of anyone who is less than 18 years old when the crime is committed.

James Bavis, Mr. Childress' grandfather, said his family bore no ill will toward the parents of the two youths accused of killing his grandson.

"We don't blame their parents," he said. "In most cases, you can't blame parents for what their children do."

But the 62-year-old Glen Burnie resident also said his family wants satisfaction in the courts.

"What we want is justice," said Mr. Bavis. "We don't want anyone let out on technicalities."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.