Route 30 bypass meeting postponed

May 25, 1994

A meeting last night on the Manchester and Hampstead bypasses was postponed because State Highway Administration officials didn't show up.

Del. Richard N. Dixon, the Carroll Democrat who organized the meeting, said he would reschedule it.

The meeting was set for 7 p.m. at the SHA maintenance building in Westminster. SHA officials could not be reached for comment on their absence last night.

Maryland Secretary of Transportation O. James Lighthizer was supposed to talk to Carroll county and municipal officials about a possible route for the Manchester bypass and the results of a recent state study concerning Route 30.

In addition to three citizens, Manchester Mayor Earl A. J. "Tim" Warehime Jr.; Carroll Commissioners Donald I. Dell and Elmer C. Lippy; Del. Richard C. Matthews, R-Carroll; and Sen. Larry E. Haines, R-Carroll, came to the aborted meeting.


* Westminster: Two residents of East Green Street told police that someone sprayed paint on their cars Sunday while the vehicles were parked near their homes. The damage is estimated about $600.

A city employee told police that someone spray-painted a building on the playground on Sunday. The damage estimate is unknown.

A South Hills Court resident told police that someone stole her purse from her auto while it was parked at Cranberry Mall Sunday. She estimated the loss at $100.

An official of Lowe's of Westminster reported someone stole Nintendo tapes from the store Saturday. He estimated the loss at $300.

A resident of West Main Street told police someone stole a lawn mower from his garage Saturday. He estimated the value at $140.


* Hampstead: Firefighters from Hampstead and Manchester, and Arcadia in Baltimore County, battled a woods fire on Gross Mill Road for about 90 minutes Tuesday after a 12:58 a.m. call.

Manchester firefighters also were transferred to fill in at the vacant Hampstead station, and Lineboro firefighters filled in at the Manchester station.

* Manchester: Manchester and Lineboro firefighters responded to a cleanup detail on Black Rock Road at 6:02 p.m. Monday. Units were out for 35 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.