Hopkins, Loyola work overtime, but lose out on payoff Brown scores 1:28 into OT, upsets No. 2 Greyhounds, 14-13

May 22, 1994|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Sun Staff Writer

During the past seven seasons, the Loyola Greyhounds have created an imposing home-field advantage. Imposing to everyone but Brown, that is.

The visiting Bears, who brought the nation's longest winning streak into yesterday's NCAA Division I quarterfinals, took another bite out of Curley Field and ended the Greyhounds' bid for their first national championship in dramatic fashion.

One minute, 28 seconds into overtime, Brown attackman Robin Price converted a leaping shot from eight yards out to give the Bears a 14-13 victory before 2,006.

The victory sends Brown (13-4) into uncharted waters -- the Final Four at College Park on Saturday. The Bears, who started the season 1-4 and entered the NCAA tournament as the seventh seed, won their 12th straight game and will play Princeton, which defeated Johns Hopkins, 12-11.

The Bears won with a defense that forced Loyola into a game of catch-up. They won with an offense that thrived even though its top scorer, David Evans (Loyola High), was held to one goal. They won by puncturing the Greyhounds' home-field advantage once more. Since 1988, Loyola has a 43-6 record at home. Four of those losses have come against Brown.

And the Bears won by turning a critical Loyola mistake into an outstanding play. Late in the first minute of overtime -- after Jay Stalfort (16 saves) forced the extra period by making two point-blank saves in the final 15 seconds of regulation -- the Greyhounds missed a chance to win on their first possession, when wide-open midfielder Andy Martin (three goals) dropped a pass from Sean Heffernan in the Brown crease.

The Bears set up their offense, then beat the Greyhounds with an unlikely sequence. Attackman Brian McNally slipped while cutting on the left wing, then dished a perfect pass to Prince from his knees. Prince leaped and shot over a Loyola defender for the game-winner.

"I'm not sure what happened," Prince said. "I got the ball from Brian McNally, and I was very surprised to have it in my stick. Every emotion was running through my body at that point. I didn't know what to do, but shoot it. I really did not aim."

The Bears avenged a 12-9 loss to Loyola in Providence two months ago.

"It was a game I never felt we were in control of," Loyola coach Dave Cottle said. "It was the kind of tempo we wanted, but we weren't winning any quarters. Defensively, I thought we were a step slow all day. We were in position to make plays, but we didn't make them. . . . We didn't play with the intensity and the inner fire we've had this year. We had our chances."

The Greyhounds broke on top, 2-0, with both scores coming in the game's opening minute, but spent much of the game trailing.

After Loyola's initial outburst, Brown scored five straight goals, from five players, to establish the tone of the game.

By that point, the Bears' defense had begun to frustrate %J second-seeded Loyola (11-2). Brown coach Peter Lasagna assigned Kris Bayer, a midfielder, to Loyola attackman Derek Radebaugh, one of the Greyhounds' dangerous shooters, freeing up the long-stick defense to keep an eye on Loyola midfielder Zach Thornton (three goals).

As a result, Radebaugh, playing with an injured foot, had three assists, but did not score. Attackman Kevin Lutz also was held scoreless. The strategy resulted in Loyola's managing only four goals in the final 29 minutes of the first half, which ended with Brown leading, 8-6.

Loyola cut Brown's lead to 8-7 on a goal by Del Halladay to open the third quarter. But by the time Prince scored his first goal with 2:23 left in the period, Brown had pushed the lead to 11-8.

The Greyhounds got untracked and made their most impressive run. First, Brian Bacso scored with 1:32 left in the third quarter to cut Brown's lead to 11-9. Then, Martin took a fast-break feed from Radebaugh and sliced the margin to 11-10 just 12 seconds into the fourth quarter. Martin scored from 15 yards out five minutes later to tie the score at 11.

Loyola, which outshot Brown 19-5 in the final quarter, probably would be celebrating today if it weren't for Stalfort, the Ivy League's first-team goalie. Six of his 16 saves came in the fourth period. With the score tied at 11, he saved two hard shots, giving Jeff Iserson (three goals) a chance to follow up a save by Tim McGeeney (21 saves) and put Brown back on top, 12-11.

Thornton tied the score again at the 4:01 mark. Loyola won the ensuing faceoff, but Stalfort stopped Radebaugh's close shot. Evans then awakened at the right time, scoring his first goal at the 2:36 mark to give the Bears a 13-12 lead. After a slashing penalty by the Bears that put the Greyhounds in an extra-man situation, Thornton tied the score at 13 with 1:05 left in regulation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.