Gilman downs St. Mary's, 10-7, for championship

May 21, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Midfielder Mark Cornes and the 14 other seniors on Gilman's lacrosse team have had their share of sweet victories, but they said none was quite as satisfying as last night's 10-7 triumph over St. Mary's in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference Championship at UMBC Stadium.

"This feels as amazing as I thought it was going to be," said Cornes, who was a member of St. Paul's A Conference champion squad two years ago. "I've had it once before. But this is my senior year, and this feels even better."

Cornes netted a team-high four goals, including three in the pivotal first quarter. Junior attackman Lorne Smith and sophomore attackman Chase Martin each finished with two goals and two assists. Senior attackman Mike Allan had a goal and two assists.

Gilman (16-2), which defeated the Saints, 13-5, at home during the regular season, wasted no time jumping out in front.

Martin scored for Gilman 53 seconds into the game, taking a feed from Allan and rifling it past St. Mary's goalie Jim Brown (nine saves).

Cornes struck next for the Greyhounds on a feed from fellow midfielder James McIntyre to make it 2-0 with 6:20 left in the first quarter.

The Saints (12-3), who gave Saints 15-year coach Jim Moorhead his first A Conference title last year by upsetting top-ranked Loyola, 5-1, misfired on their first seven shots. Senior midfielder Todd Vizcarrondo ended the Saints' shooting woes when he took a pass from Dan Collins and sent a one-hopper into the back of the net.

St. Mary's celebration was cut short by McIntyre, who won the ensuing faceoff and fed Cornes on a fast break. Martin added a severe-angle goal 23 seconds later, and Cornes gave his team a 5-1 first-quarter lead when he converted an extra-man goal on an assist from Allan.

Second-seeded Gilman, which advanced to the finals by outlasting Boys' Latin last week, 5-4, stretched the lead to 6-1 48 seconds into the second quarter on an assisted goal by Stewart Kesmodel before junior Jason Lilly took the ensuing faceoff straight to the cage to return the margin to four.

Moorhead drew a flag, and Gilman capitalized on the 30-second penalty when Cornes scored the extra-man goal off a feed from Smith.

Kevin Gattie added an extra-man goal with 5:39 left in the second quarter. But that was all the Saints would get, and they trailed 7-3 at the half.

"Jim Brown is a great goaltender, but for some reason, we shoot pretty well against him," said Gilman coach John Tucker. "St. Mary's has Loyola's number, and we seem to have theirs. For some reason, we play St. Mary's real well, and maybe it's because we don't know them real well. We relax against them and we play better."

St. Mary's, which made it to the finals by defeating St. Paul's (6-4) and top-seeded Loyola (7-6 in overtime), fell behind 9-3 with just over four minutes left in the third when Allan scored on a behind-the-back feed from Smith.

The Saints managed to pull back to within four after an unassisted goal by senior Matt Clune before Smith all but put the game out of reach with a goal at the 3:07 mark.

"I think they played well, and we played very poorly, especially in the first 15 minutes of the game," said Moorhead. "We came back and we hung in there in the end, but it's kind of tough to spot a team a 5-1 lead and expect to win."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.