Baltimore Co. man dies in fire caused by food left cooking

May 21, 1994|By Larry Carson | Larry Carson,Sun Staff Writer

An eastern Baltimore County man died early yesterday in a one-alarm fire that was started by a pot of food left cooking on a stove, county fire officials said.

The victim, Scott A. Brown, 33, of the first block of Right Rudder Court in Victory Villa, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr. Brown, who lived alone, was the sixth fire fatality in Baltimore County this year.

County Police Detective Linda Wiseman, assigned to the investigative services unit from the Essex Precinct, was driving by and saw smoke coming from the house.

She reported the fire at 3:38 a.m. and banged on the door but got no answer, said Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger, county police spokesman.

Battalion Chief Patrick Kelly said firefighters found Mr. Brown on the floor in a hall near a rear bedroom of the one-story house.

They carried him outside and tried to resuscitate him before pronouncing him dead.

Fire companies from Middle River, Golden Ring, Essex and Bowleys Quarters had the blaze under control by 4:03 a.m.

Chief Kelly said the fire did about $30,000 damage, mainly to the kitchen.

NB The house had smoke detectors with working batteries, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.