Edmondson upsets Poly to take 1st regional title

May 19, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

History might not be Maurise Bease's favorite subject at Edmondson, but the sophomore midfielder sure seemed to enjoy taking part in an historical event yesterday at Poly.

Bease's unassisted goal 10 seconds into the second overtime lifted the third-seeded Redskins to a 6-5 victory over the No. 1-seeded Engineers, giving Edmondson (11-3) the distinction of being the first Baltimore boys lacrosse team to win a region championship.

Bease and the rest of the Class 3A-4A East Region champs have earned a round-trip bus ride Saturday to UMBC Stadium where they will try to upset another top-seeded team -- the Annapolis Panthers -- at 5 p.m.

"We're going to go to the states and we're going to represent Baltimore City well. We're going to do the best job we can possibly do," said Edmondson coach Crawford Dennar, whose team finished 3-9 last season after winning the Maryland Scholastic Association C Conference title the year before.

"This is a great day for Edmondson lacrosse and this is a great day for Edmondson sports.

"I've tried to instill in these boys that they represent Edmondson and everybody over there. We had an opportunity today to take something back to that school and I couldn't be prouder of these guys."

Junior attackman George Hendricks scored the first two goals for Edmondson, both on feeds from senior midfielder Omar Richmond (three assists).

Single goals by Poly attackers Scott Hermes and Micah Hartman made it 2-2 at the half, despite 23 shots by the Engineers and 14 by the Redskins.

The two teams exchanged goals in the third quarter as well, with senior attackman Antonio Knox (two goals) doing the honors for Edmondson and Hartman adding his second on a feed from Hermes.

Each team found the net twice in the fourth period, sending the game into overtime.

After winning the faceoff in the first three-minute overtime, Poly's attack went to work on Edmondson's senior goalkeeper Archie Gee (17 saves). Gee did a job on the Engineers, however, stopping three shots and watching four others sail well off the target.

Bease gathered the ground ball on the faceoff to start the second overtime and didn't waste any time taking it to the hole.

"Once I got it," said Bease, "I thought about passing for a second and then I saw it was wide open so I took it."

And with it went Poly's chances of making history.

"Edmondson deserved to win the game because they made the big plays," said Poly coach Augie Waibel, whose 12-2 Engineers defeated Edmondson, 6-4, during the regular season.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.