Annapolis defense puts clamps on Arundel in 7-2 win

May 18, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Annapolis' Taylor Boone didn't want to talk about the four goals and one assist he contributed in last night's 7-2 victory over visiting and No. 3 seed Arundel.

Standing in full uniform near the sidelines on Al Laramore Field, the senior attackman gave credit where he thought it was overdue.

"Our defense is what got us here and our defense is what won this game for us tonight," said Boone, just moments after his top-seeded Panthers claimed the Class 3A-4A South Region title and, more importantly, a berth in next Saturday's state semifinals with Centennial, a 6-4 winner over C. Milton Wright.

"Our defense has been getting it done all year long and our defense is the reason why we're going to win a state championship."

Annapolis six-year coach Dan Hart couldn't agree more.

"Our defense tonight was outstanding. We played championship defense and it was unbelievable," said Hart, citing the play of long stickmen Ryan Little, Gus Samaras, James Fedor and Brian McNew and sophomore goalkeeper Tobin Poole (13 saves). "Our defense played like it was possessed. We feel very fortunate and very humble to be in the position we're in right now."

The No. 8-ranked Panthers (14-2), who defeated Arundel, 13-12, in overtime during the regular season, opened the scoring 4:08 into the contest when senior Chris Harris fed a perfect pass to Boone as he cut in front.

Annapolis defenders David Winegrad and Jack Copus had the Wildcats hurrying their shots throughout the waning minutes of the first quarter, enabling the Panthers to escape the period with Panthers clinging to a one-goal lead.

Boone, who scored the winning goal when the two teams met on April 19, picked up his second goal 56 seconds into the second quarter as he converted a pass from senior midfielder Scott Regina (two goals, two assists).

The ninth-ranked Wildcats (13-3) outshot the hosts, 16-14, in the first half, but an unassisted goal by junior attackman Neil Weisshaar was all they would get.

Senior midfielder Chris Turner tied the game at 2 with an unassisted goal early in the third quarter but Boone and Regina had the final say.

Boone regained the lead for the Panthers when he took a pass from Regina on a 3-on-2 fast break, stutter-stepped in front of the crease and rolled a shot past Arundel's charging goalkeeper Tom Newberry (10 saves).

Regina then gave the Panthers the momentum they needed heading into the fourth quarter when he scored an unassisted goal with four seconds left in the third.

Regina, Boone and Eric Morgan all scored for the Panthers as they stretched their lead in the fourth quarter.

"We shot poorly tonight and that's what cost us the game," said Arundel coach Clint Gosnell. "Annapolis did a nice job of matching up with us and we just couldn't get in sync offensively and the shots we took were off balance."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.