Forest Park falls to Kent, 10-8

May 18, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Forest Park's quest to become the city's first regional boys lacrosse champ fell short yesterday as visiting Kent (14-2) overcame a 2-0 first-period deficit to win, 10-8, in a contest that was tied four times.

The victory earned Kent the 1A-2A North Region crown -- and a trip into Saturday's state semifinals at UMBC -- as the title goes to the Eastern Shore for the second straight year. Easton, last year's champ, was beaten twice by Kent during the regular season.

"That was our goal -- to reach the final four," said Kent coach Dennis Seip. "We expected a tough game from [Forest Park coach] Obie Barnes' team, and that's what they gave us."

Forest Park (13-1), which is 58-6 over the past four seasons under Barnes, entered the game having reversed last year's 8-7, first-round loss to Cambridge by 7-6 in the regional semifinal.

Seip, whose team had twice beaten Cambridge by a combined 12 goals, expected a physical game from the Foresters to slow his team's fast-breaking trio of Alden Yetman (56 goals, 35 assists), Scott Lowery (32, 51) and Martin Davis (33, 11).

But that aspect of the Foresters materialized too late, allowing Yetman, who finished with four goals, Lowery (three goals, four assists) and Davis (two goals) to bring their team back from first-half deficits of 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3.

The trio engineered a four-goal barrage that had the Foresters down, 5-4, at halftime, and 7-4, with eight minutes left in the third period.

"The fast break killed us," said Barnes. "I thought that our speed would nullify their stick work, but they had our defenders second-guessing themselves."

The Foresters stormed back to tie the game on consecutive goals by Sean Markley, who scored twice yesterday and had one assist, Dathan Jones (two goals) and James Heath (three goals), but Kent's Andrew Armani, Lowery and Davis returned fire to give Kent a 10-7 cushion.

"We came out playing like we couldn't be beaten, but every time we'd come back, they'd go back up a few goals," said Markley.

Heath scored the final goal of his career -- his 53rd to go with 33 assists -- with three minutes left. Markley (47 goals, 20 assists) ranks second in team scoring, followed by Jones (24, 33).

Jamaine Dixon had 14 saves for Forest Park. Kent's Brad Schultz had eight.

"It's a tough loss to take after working so hard all season," said Jones, who, like Heath, is a senior. Heath added: "It was a gallant effort and we played with a lot of pride."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.