Sharp's 5 goals spark Arundel

May 14, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

Arundel coach Clint Gosnell waited two years to get back into the playoffs. He didn't want the experience to be a short one.

Instead, the third-seeded Wildcats made short work of No. 2 seed Severna Park, as junior Keith Sharp scored five times in a 9-5 victory in the 3A-4A South Region semifinals.

"This is a great team and they deserve to go on," Gosnell said. "We worked hard. We don't have any glamour boys on this team. They're hard-working kids and they played hard tonight."

Josh Tidwell added two goals and two assists for ninth-ranked Arundel (13-2), which was coming off a physical 9-8 loss to the Falcons on Tuesday.

Mark Frye scored twice and Rob Bates had three assists for Severna Park (11-4).

"The last game was nothing but a bunch of trash," Sharp said. "We're rivals and we're friends with a lot of the guys on the team. After the last game, we wanted to get back at them."

John Bishop gave Severna Park a 1-0 lead with 7:22 left in the first quarter when he received a pass from Bates and grounded a shot past goalkeeper Tom Newberry.

From there, the Wildcats took over, using precision passes and taking advantage of numerous Severna Park turnovers to run off the next five goals of the half.

Sharp scored off a pass from Greg Hausner at 4:54, and Chris Turner gave Arundel a 2-1 lead when he converted a feed from Tidwell behind the net with 1:19 left in the quarter.

Sharp scored his second goal, off a pass from Mark Jenkins, with 31 seconds remaining for a 3-1 lead.

Arundel failed to score during a man advantage, but Sharp came through twice, on passes from Mike Haertel and Tidwell, in the last two minutes. Both times, the ball barely was in Sharp's stick when it was sent toward the goal.

The lead was 9-1 when Severna Park finally came to life. Dave Maples converted a pass from Bates with 16 seconds left in the third quarter, and Frye bounced a shot past Newberry at 2:23 of the fourth.

Frye scored again with 4:23 remaining, and after Arundel survived two man-down situations, Bates passed to Sean O'Malley for a goal that had Severna Park trailing, 9-5, with 1:48 left.

"Arundel came out on fire," said Falcons assistant coach Joe Gorden. "They played aggressive defense."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.