Man, 24, denied bond in shooting of trooper

May 12, 1994|By From Staff Reports

A 24-year-old Middle River man was being held without bond at the Harford County Detention Center after being arrested on charges of shooting a state trooper twice in the chest with a .38-caliber pistol just after midnight yesterday, authorities said.

Police allege that Steven James Boggs of the first block of Blister St. shot Trooper Eric Johanson after being pulled over on U.S. 40 in Edgewood at 12:20 a.m. for a routine traffic violation.

The trooper -- who celebrated his 32nd birthday yesterday -- survived the shooting because he was wearing body armor, authorities said. He was treated for minor bruises and cuts and released from Fallston General Hospital.

Trooper Johanson, who was knocked down by the bullets, fired four shots at the fleeing suspect's car and then climbed into his patrol car.

The trooper chased the suspect for about two miles before he realized he had been injured.

He pulled to the side of the highway and summoned assistance as fellow troopers, joined by Harford deputies and Aberdeen police officers, continued chasing the suspect's Chevrolet Cavalier east on U.S. 40 toward Aberdeen.

After the suspect drove off, about a dozen state police, Harford County sheriff's deputies and Aberdeen police cars chased his car east on U.S. 40. State police said that lights on the suspect's car were turned off.

The driver turned around at the Aberdeen Wal-Mart, drove through the store's parking lot and headed west on Route 7.

Near Route 7 and Perryman Road, the suspect pulled over and ran from his car toward a wooded area, police said.

With officers in pursuit, a bullet thatofficers said was fired by the suspect hit a patrol car driven by Harford County Deputy 1st Class Duane Williams.

Harford Deputy 1st Class Joseph Mina chased the man down and made the arrest with a flying tackle.

Mr. Boggs was charged with attempted murder, assault with intent to murder, use of a handgun in a commission of a felony, assault while attempting to elude lawful apprehension and numerous traffic violations.

Court records indicated that Mr. Boggs was employed as a mechanic's helper by a Middle River heating contractor.

Harry Horney, vice president of the business, described Mr. Boggs as a well-liked, hard-working employee and "never a discipline problem."

In April 1989, Mr. Boggs was convicted in Baltimore County Circuit Court of breaking into the home of an Essex toll facilities police officer and stealing a .45-caliber Colt pistol and a rifle.

He was given a six-month suspended sentence, with two years probation, but that was later revoked and he served the sentence at the Baltimore County Detention Center, court records show.

While out on probation, Mr. Boggs was arrested in July 1989 and charged with breaking into the Hope Lutheran Church in the 1900 block of Middleborough Road in Essex, ransacking the church and stealing a cross as well as $30 in cash.

Baltimore County Circuit Judge J. William Hinkel convicted Mr. Boggs of that crime in November 1989, and in February 1990, the judge sentenced him to 18 months in prison, but suspended the sentence and placed him on three years probation, court records show.

A court file notation in Baltimore County states Mr. Boggs was released from serving an 18-month sentence in Harford County and the six-month sentence in Baltimore County in January 1992.

Court records in Harford County showed that Mr. Boggs was charged in 1989 with storehouse breaking and stealing, theft and malicious destruction, but that the case was placed on the inactive docket Oct. 1, 1990.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.