Boys' Latin stops Calvert Hall, 6-4, advances to MIAA semifinal

May 11, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

It wasn't what Bob Shriver was hoping for but yesterday's 6-4 victory over Calvert Hall was all homestanding and third-seeded Boys' Latin needed to advance to the semifinal round of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference Tournament.

"We spent an awful lot of energy in Saturday's St. Paul's game [which the Lakers won, 11-8] and I don't know that we didn't leave a little bit on the field Saturday," said Shriver, whose Lakers will face off with second-seed Gilman at 7 p.m. Friday at UMBC. "It was tough. Calvert Hall played extremely well and they were beating us to the ball early. They rode us extremely well and that's a credit to Calvert Hall."

And what about Gilman?

"Hopefully we'll show up," said Shriver. "They beat the heck out of us and I'm sure they are down there licking their chops. We'll see what happens."

The Cardinals had several opportunities to tie the score and take the lead in the second half, but many of those chances were thwarted by penalties and some big saves by Boys' Latin goalkeeper Brandon Mollett.

"This was the first time all year we put together a full game and I couldn't be prouder of these guys," said Calvert Hall coach Mike Thomas as he greeted his players as they boarded the bus. "Penalties hurt us at the end there, but I have a lot of sophomores and freshmen out there and that sort of stuff happens."

The Lakers (15-3) opened the scoring 4 minutes, 37 seconds into the game as junior attackman John Fuller scored on a feed from senior midfielder Baron Willard.

Carey Taylorson retaliated for the Cardinals when he dug out a loose ball in front of the crease and stuffed it past Mollett.

Miscues and misfortune kept the score tied in the first quarter as Steven Preis caught two pipes for the Cardinals and the Lakers were caught twice for being in the crease.

Calvert Hall managed to take a 2-1 lead early in the second quarter on the first of two goals by midfielder Carey Taylorson, but Ned Webster tied the game when he scored in transition on a crossing pass from Scott Hochstadt.

The Cardinals took the lead again midway through the third quarter on a goal by Tim Kowalewski but again found themselves tied at the end of the third quarter following a late goal by Brad Gilroy.

Boys' Latin midfielder Matt Swift, who was making only his second start of the season because of mononucleosis, scored the go-ahead goal for the Lakers 43 seconds into the fourth quarter and the hosts led 5-3 after Gilroy converted a pass from Chris Turner.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.