Boys' Latin holds off St. Paul's

May 08, 1994|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

Boys' Latin persists to win dangerously.

After playing a near-perfect first half, the No. 5 Lakers almost blew a five-goal lead but held off visiting and No. 4 St. Paul's for an 11-8 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference victory on a sloppy Kelly Field.

Boys' Latin finished the regular season winning three of its last four, but just by a combined seven goals.

The Lakers have had problems finishing off opponents, being outscored 16-9 in the second half in those wins.

The Crusaders outscored Boys' Latin 6-4 in the second half.

"We've struggled all year in the second half, and today was no different," Lakers coach Bob Shriver said.

"It's good to beat teams ranked ahead off us even if we've struggled. It still gives us confidence. I think we learned how to win, and that's important however you do it."

The Lakers (14-3), who outshot St. Paul's 33-27, make their ninth playoff appearance as they play host to Calvert Hall in the opening round on Tuesday. The Crusaders (7-5) start the playoffs at St. Mary's on Tuesday.

Junior attackman Chris Turner, who had two goals and an assist in the first 5 1/2 minutes, topped Boys' Latin with two goals and three assists. Junior John Fuller also had four goals for the Lakers.

Senior attackman Jamie Pollock, who scored twice in the final seven minutes, contributed four goals for the Crusaders.

After Boys' Latin built leads of 6-1, 7-2 and 10-5, St. Paul's continued to come back on the strength of its fast-paced offense.

Crusaders junior attackman Tucker Radebaugh scored with 1:55 remaining that capped a three-goal run to cut the margin to 10-8.

Boys' Latin junior Scott Hochstadt assisted fellow attackman John Fuller with 16 seconds left to close out the win.

"Every time it seemed we got stopped by some stupid foul," St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley said.

"But we really got outplayed in every aspect in the first half, which forced us in a bad position."

In the first half, the Lakers scored five straight goals and outshot the Crusaders 17-5 in a an 11-minute span to go ahead 6-1 midway through the second quarter.

When St. Paul's made its first surge back, the Lakers' offense disappeared but Lakers goalkeeper Brandon Mollet didn't. The Crusaders scored twice to close within 7-4 midway through the third as the Lakers got off only two shots.

During a man-down situation early in the third quarter, Mollet faced three shots, making two ground-ball saves while not allowing a goal.

He then made a stick save on a four-on-three Crusaders fast break, and had back-to-back saves three minutes later.

Mollet, a 5-foot-9, 150-pound senior, pocketed his last save of that stretch while out of position. Roaming out in front of the crease, Mollet needed to backpedal back to the goal but still managed to lower his stick to stop the ball.

Mollet made six of his game-high 16 saves in the third quarter.

"After the Gilman game last week when I gave up about 11 goals, coach [Shriver] pulled me over to the side and told me I had to work on seeing the ball better," said Mollet, whose once-white uniform was caked with mud. "That was the difference. I just saw everything today."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.