Rockfish found, not kept this day


May 08, 1994|By LONNY WEAVER

Maryland Comptroller Louis L. Goldstein, Joyce Williams, Mike Burton, Jeff Beatrice and Jim Gilford joined me aboard Captain Bud Harrison's Beaudacious early last week as we kicked off this year's Chesapeake Bay fishing season. And what a start it was!

After breakfast at Harrison's Inn on scenic Tilghman Island, we boarded the spacious charter boat with hopes of catching at least one legal-sized 34-inch striped bass (rockfish). Privately, I suspected we might be in for a long day of trolling because of reports that rockfish had dropped their eggs and were well south of the mid-Chesapeake area that we had chosen to fish.

"We might get lucky," Harrison said as he steered clear of Knapps Narrows and down the Choptank River to where it

empties into the Chesapeake. "I know of a couple that have been picked up over the last couple of days."

Harrison made the 45-minute run to the Gooses, off the western shore, and helped mate Barry Stambro set a half-dozen trolling rods rigged with an assortment of #21 Tonys, Sassy Shads and Parachutes. The jig-head Sassy Shads were white, the Tonys were white or blue/silver metallic and the Parachutes were green and matched with like-shaded Sassy Shads. On our third sweep of the area my rod snapped down.

"Fish on!," shouted Harrison as I grabbed the rod and felt the weight of a good-sized fish. Everyone gathered around to watch me slowly work the fish to surface. It was a rock, but was it big enough?

Shoulder muscles unused since last fall's rockfish season ached from the weight of the fish, the weight of the heavy lead sinker and the added resistance of the slowly moving boat. At last the fish was close enough to net and Stambro brought it aboard.

Too small, at 29 inches, to keep. We hurriedly took a few photos and gently returned the striper to the saltwater.

The lines no sooner were back in the water when Burton's rod snapped to life. Burton deliberately fought the weight of a fish that was obviously much larger than mine.

"Wow, that's what Maryland rockfishing is all about," said Goldstein, as Harrison helped remove a 37-inch striper from the net.

But, on this day we had all agreed to return all rockfish to the Bay. After photos, the huge spawner gently was returned to the water.

Goldstein was nearing the end of a tale about bagging this spring's turkey on his Calvert County farm when his trolling rod sang of a hooked fish.

He expertly played the fish to the boat. "Now, that's a shame because a 30-inch rock like that, all cleaned and stuffed with about 2 pounds of lump crabmeat is surely heaven on a plate," he said as he returned the fish to the bay.

Later three fish hit at the same time. Gilford got a surprising and very decent-sized bluefish to within 15 yards of the boat before it escaped. Two rods over, Beatrice was battling his very first rockfish. His striper, which also hit a green parachute, measured 29 inches.

But, Williams, a few more rods over to the right, really had her hands full of mad rockfish. Like, 38 inches and easily 20 pounds of fighting striper. Williams hefted the magnificent fish shoulder high for a couple of fast photos before releasing it back into the water.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.