Loyola conquers Hopkins hex

May 08, 1994|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Sun Staff Writer

The "Charles Street Massacre" can finally be laid to rest in lacrosse history.

Johns Hopkins' series record of 31 straight wins over Loyola came to an end yesterday as the No. 3 Greyhounds, paced by three spectacular fourth-period goals from junior attackman Kevin Lutz, defeated No. 6 Johns Hopkins, 17-15, at Curley Field.

The game had nearly everything. The two schools, only a 15-minute walk from each other, are natural rivals. The two coaches are best friends. Both schools were looking for a win and a first-round bye in the 12-team playoff field that will be selected tonight.

The fast-paced game kept the record crowd of 5,618 on edge most of the afternoon. Neither team could gain more than a two-goal edge until the fourth period when Lutz, who earlier in the week had been diagnosed with strep throat and a double ear infection, took control of the game and gave Loyola a 17-14 lead with 6:52 left.

Loyola (11-1) held on long enough to claim local bragging rights and finally end years of losing.

"We've had the burden of enduring a lot of other people's mistakes, and today we finally got rid of a lot of excess baggage we've been carrying around for years," said Loyola coach Dave Cottle, in his 12th season.

Actually, this was only Cottle's second game in the series, which originally began in 1939 and ended in 1969 with Johns Hopkins looking for better competition.

But once the Greyhounds started to become a power in the early 1990s, the series was resumed last season, with Johns Hopkins winning again, 16-11.

But the win yesterday was about more than breaking a streak. It was about Loyola being mentioned in the same breath with the Blue Jays, North Carolina and Syracuse. And the crowd that poured onto the field after the win was eager to celebrate.

"Johns Hopkins has been doing it right for 50 years, and we've tried to emulate them for the last 10," Cottle said. "If we were going to establish this program as a viable force, we needed to win this game."

The Greyhounds won in a style that has become familiar this season. They run and gun, stay close, get balanced scoring and then pull it out at the end.

Yesterday it was Lutz who pulled off the late-game heroics. Lutz, with a step on the Blue Jays' Carmen Cavallaro, dived from the right of the crease and hurled a shot past Cavallaro and goalie Jonathan Marcus with 13:41 left in the game to break a 13-13 tie.

Nearly 1 1/2 minutes later, it was Lutz again on the left side of the crease. Same move. Same defender. Same result. Loyola 15, Hopkins 13.

Then with 6:52 left in the game, Lutz got the ball on the right side. You guessed it. Same move. Different defender. Same result. Loyola 17, Hopkins 14.

"One of my strengths is going to the goal hard, and the first time they sort of gave me the step," Lutz said. "Honestly, I was surprised they gave me the step the second time, but I felt strong and comfortable making the move.

"I hurt my ankle and didn't play against Georgetown last week. On Tuesday I was diagnosed with the strep throat and the two ear infections, and I didn't get to practice until Thursday. Those antibiotics worked pretty well, huh?"

Hopkins coach Tony Seaman, whose team dropped to 8-4, wished some of his players had healed so well. Starting defenseman Jason Pressman suffered a knee injury Thursday, and did not play yesterday.

"The injury hurt us, but let's not take anything away from Loyola," Seaman said. "It was an excellent, competitive game, and if we had made a couple of more shots, we'd still be out there. Loyola did a great job of shooting today."

Actually, it was Hopkins that came out shooting, and the Blue Jays, on goals from attackman Brian Piccola and midfielder Milford Marchant in the last three minutes, went ahead 6-4 at the end of the first quarter.

Loyola, with attackman Sean Heffernan (three goals) getting an assist and a goal in the first five minutes of the second quarter, started to take control of the game. But the Blue Jays rallied in the closing minutes of the half as attackman Terry Riordan, who finished with seven goals, scored on a low shot with 3:13 to play and attack Peter Jacobs scored on a long bomb with four seconds remaining to tie the game at 9-9 at the half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.