Notre Dame justifies motto in OT win

May 07, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

The warm-up T-shirts read "Never say die," and No. 12 Notre Dame Prep never did.

Not when No. 7 Mount de Sales scored the first two goals. Not when the Sailors rallied from four goals down to take an 8-7 lead late in the second half. Not even when the Sailors scored the first goal in overtime.

Instead, the Pirates (8-4) exploded for two goals in 35 seconds in the final three minutes of overtime to upset Mount de Sales, 10-9, yesterday in an Association of Independent Schools A Division Tournament semifinal.

The Pirates will meet No. 2 and three-time defending champ Roland Park (14-0) for the A Division title Tuesday at Garrison Forest.

The Sailors (18-2) had hoped for a rematch of last year's title game with Roland Park. Instead, the Pirates face a rematch of last week's 10-8 loss in which the Reds had to rebound from two goals down in the second half.

Yesterday, the Pirates watched Mount de Sales stage a second-half rally, but this time, they didn't let the game slip away.

"I think it all comes down to who wants it more," said Pirates midfielder Kira Nazelrod.

"I know for six minutes [of overtime], we tried really hard for ground balls and we stuck right to our men. We just want to win this championship."

The Pirates dominated the last three minutes of overtime, scooping up the ground balls and pressuring the Sailors' attack.

While Jill Salkauskas gave the Sailors a 9-8 lead on a feed from Meghan O'Connell midway through overtime, the Sailors couldn't muster much offense after that.

Freshman midfielder Sheehan Stanwick tied the game for NDP running off the draw.

Then Tricia Cummings intercepted a clear from Sailors goalie Audrey Powers and ran to goal. A defender's push earned Cummings a free-position shot on the center hash mark, and she bounced it past Powers for the game-winner.

"I'd been practicing that shot for the past couple days in my backyard," said Cummings. "I just knew if I shot high, I wasn't going to be positive of hitting the goal cage, so I decided to do my favorite bounce shot, and it went in."

Mount de Sales managed just one shot in the final three minutes. Christy Buck fed Jamie Wissmann right on the crease, but Wissmann fired the ball wide as NDP goalie Heather Castle stepped up to her.

Stanwick also came up with the big defensive play in the final 26 seconds. With the speedy Sailors threatening on transition, Stanwick checked the ball away from attack wing Katie O'Connell, scarfed up the ground ball and kept the Pirates on attack for the final seconds.

The Pirates outshot Mount de Sales, 31-24 in the game, but the big difference came in the first half when they dominated 19-6 in shots.

After Christy Buck and Amy Buck gave the Sailors an early two-goal lead, NDP rallied for six straight goals from five different players. Stanwick scored two while Nazelrod, Colleen Keeney, Lacy Aumiller and Cummings added one each.

In the second half, the momentum swung to the Sailors who scored six of the first seven goals including two goals each from Christy Buck, Amy Buck and Lisa Banbury. By the time Banbury tied it with 11:30 to go, the Pirates had only shot twice in the half.

The Pirates tied it 8-8 in regulation on Stephanie Petterson's free-position shot with 5:42 left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.