Samuel T. HymanOwned hardware firmSamuel T. Hyman, owner...

May 07, 1994

Samuel T. Hyman

Owned hardware firm

Samuel T. Hyman, owner of a lumber and hardware business and a decorated officer in the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II and the Korean War, died Tuesday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a stroke.

Mr. Hyman, 80, lived in Carney over his business, the Akehurst Lumber and Hardware Co. He bought the business after serving Korea and remained active in it in recent years despite poor health.

A native of the Hobgood, N.C., Mr. Hyman moved to Baltimore during the Depression. He held a number of jobs -- in furniture refinishing, at a chemical company and with a moving company -- before entering the Army in 1942.

After being commissioned, he served in Normandy and elsewhere in France, in the Battle of the Bulge and in the Rhineland.

His first Bronze Star was awarded for work in the Battle of the Bulge, and the citation noted, "His determination to provide his men with all the benefits and comforts his ingenuity could devise were among the things that marked him as an outstanding officer."

Made a captain while serving in Europe, he was recalled to active duty during the Korean War and commanded a company in the 376th Battalion, which built the United Nations cemetery at Pusan.

Mr. Hyman's service in Korea brought him an oak leaf cluster as a second award of the Bronze Star.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Ursula's Roman Catholic Church in Parkville.

Mr. Hyman's wife, the former Christine Melocik, died in 1990.

He is survived by a sister, Jean Grabill of Towson; two nieces; three grandnephews; and two grandnieces.

Kenneth W. Zaicko

Retired MTA mechanic

Kenneth W. Zaicko, a retired Mass Transit Administration mechanic, died of cancer Thursday at Franklin Square Hospital. He was 76, and had lived at Woodsdale Retirement Community in Abingdon for two years.

He retired about 14 years ago from the MTA. He began his career in the late 1930s as a streetcar motorman with the old Baltimore Transit Co. on the No. 19 Harford Road and No. 15 Belair Road lines.

He drove buses for several years before going to work in the Carroll Park Shops as a diesel mechanic.

He was a founding member of the Amalgamated Transit Union's Local 1300.

Mr. Zaicko was born and reared in Rosedale where his Russian immigrant father, who moved to Baltimore in 1910, operated a truck farm.

He dropped out of school at 13 to help his father during the Depression and was largely self-educated, according to a son, Leonard W. Zaicko of Overlea.

He lived for 50 years in a house near Patterson Park, where he enjoyed making home repairs and helping neighbors with odd jobs.

"He was a handyman who could fix anything. We never had a plumber, electrician or painter in the house -- he could do it all," said his son.

He enjoyed building structures for his Christmas garden, which featured Lionel Standard Gauge electric trains. He also liked vacationing in Ocean City.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church, 1450 Abingdon Road in Abingdon.

Mr. Zaicko also is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Bertha M. Butt; two other sons, Kenneth E. Zaicko of Churchville and Richard G. Zaicko of Dundalk; a daughter, Doris Ann Kaczorowski of Dundalk; a sister, Doris Popowicz of Dundalk; 10 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Hazel Miller Wells

Nurse, volunteer

Hazel Miller Wells, a former nurse who did church and volunteer work, died April 30 at her home in Ruxton after a heart attack. She was 79.

Mrs. Wells was a native of northern Harford County, across the state line from Fawn Grove, Pa.

A 1935 graduate of the University of Maryland nursing school, the former Hazel Miller was a nurse at University Hospital in the late 1930s.

She was married to Dr. Gibson Jackson Wells, a retired


who is also an Episcopal priest and has assisted at St. Michael and All Angels Church since 1926.

At St. Michael and All Angels, Mrs. Wells was a member of the Women's Guild and volunteered in the collection of the United Thanks Offering.

She also volunteered at Maryland General Hospital.

A memorial service was to be held at 2 p.m. today at St. Michael and All Angels, St. Paul and 20th streets.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by two sisters, Louise Wiley and Dorothy Henderson, both of Bel Air; and many nieces and nephews.

Rubin Titus Tillery

Truck driver

Rubin Titus Tillery, a retired tractor-trailer driver, died Tuesday at Liberty Medical Center after a heart attack.

Mr. Tillery, who was 66 and lived in Northwest Baltimore, retired in 1986 after 30 years with Rukert Terminals Corp.

L Born in Halifax, N.C., he moved to Baltimore as a young man.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Pentecost Baptist Church, 1615 Poplar Grove St., where Mr. Tillery had been a deacon for 35 years. He sang bass in the church's male chorus, of which he was president.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, the former Margaret M. Moore; a son, John Tillery Sr. of Baltimore; a sister, Queenie Brantley of Springfield, Mass.; three brothers, Jeff Tillery of Roanoke Rapids, N.C., and Zettie and Leslie Tillery Jr., both of Springfield; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.