Thelma ShrinerPhilanthropistThelma W. L. Shriner, a...

May 02, 1994

Thelma Shriner

Philanthropist

Thelma W. L. Shriner, a philanthropist who designed a community center and restored houses, died April 12 of heart failure at Fairhaven retirement home in Sykesville. She was 98.

She was born and reared at Bowling Brook Estate in Middleburg and graduated from Blue Ridge College in 1914 and Hood College in 1917. She continued her education at the Maryland Institute of Art where she studied architectural drawing. During World War I, she was an ambulance driver for the Red Cross Motor Corps.

She restored houses in Frederick and Frederick County and in 1963 designed and had built a community center that she presented to Union Bridge.

She restored Hard Lodging, a 1790 house with antique furnishings and household goods, which she gave to the Carroll County Historical Society along with a trust for its continued maintenance.

Stuard Bankert, a friend for 70 years, said, "She was a very modest person and was very generous to people. If she heard that someone in a nursing home needed a wheelchair but couldn't afford to buy one, she made sure they got it. She helped a student to attend college by sending him a monthly check. She just didn't want any fuss made over her generosity."

She donated playgrounds and baseball diamonds for the residents of Union Bridge and was recognized by federal, state and local agencies for her efforts.

She was a member for many years of All Saints Episcopal Church in Frederick and maintained homes there as well as in Braddock Heights, Gibson Island and Florida before she moved to Fairhaven in 1980.

The former Thelma W. Littlefield was married to Francis E. Shriner, the postmaster of Union Bridge, who died in 1951.

She is survived by several cousins.

Memorial donations may be made to the Eye Bank Project of the Union Bridge Lions Club, c/o Stanley W. Holcombe, 455 Hoff Road, Union Bridge 21791.

A memorial service was held April 23.

Edward Morgan

Social Security official

Edward Morgan, a retired Social Security Administration branch chief, died April 19 of prostate cancer at Northwest Hospital Center. The Woodlawn resident was 69.

He retired in 1978 after a 32-year career with the Social Security Administration where he was branch manager of a computer programming division.

The Pickens, W.Va., native received his education in local schools there. He served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific Theater during World War II. After he was discharged in 1945, he settled in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Irene Strait, whom he married in 1970; a stepson, William B. Loomis Jr. of Newburg, Charles County; three stepdaughters, Marie Harabin of Southington, Conn.; Donna McLain of Portland, Ore.; and Irena Head of Ellicott City; two brothers, Ralph Morgan of Buckhannon, W.Va., and Lynn Morgan of Minerva, Ohio; a sister, Josephine Vojtko of Severna Park; a stepmother, Rhoda Morgan of Canton, Ohio; and 10 stepgrandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the Feed the Children Campaign.

Services were held April 22.

Sara M. Eliason

Shoe saleswoman

Sara Marmer Eliason, a longtime Baltimore resident who worked for many years at Hess Shoes and later at Hecht's department store, died April 21 of pneumonia at Sinai Hospital. She was 93.

Born in Hull, England, on Aug. 4, 1900, she was one of nine children. The Marmer family immigrated to the United States in 1906 and settled in Baltimore.

At age 14, Mrs. Eliason took her first job -- at the Oriole Department Store on West Baltimore Street. Later, she worked at Hess Shoes and then at Hecht Co. in downtown Baltimore.

In 1925, she married Edward Eliason, to whom she had been introduced by her brother, Walter. In 1927, their only daughter, Evelyn, was born. in 1943, Mrs. Eliason became a naturalized U.S. citizen. Mr. Eliason, who worked as a typesetter at the News American, died in 1983.

Mrs. Eliason's relatives said she had two overriding passions: her family and her faith. She was a member of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and was active in many community organizations, most often working to sponsor Jewish education. At her synagogue, she established an endowment to pay for trips to Israel for the congregation's youth.

Mrs. Eliason is survived by a sister, Minna Phillip of Annapolis; her daughter, Evelyn Scher of Baltimore; three grandsons, Robert Scher of Baltimore, Adam Scher of Lynchburg, Va., and John Scher of New York; and two great-grandchildren.

A memorial service was conducted April 24.

George Baumgardner

Baker, machinist

George W. Baumgardner, a retired baker and machinist, died March 27 of congestive heart failure at his Laguna Hills, Calif. home. The former Carroll countian was 90.

Born and reared in Taneytown, where his father was a farmer and builder, he attended local schools and was a 1921 graduate of Taneytown High School.

He taught school briefly in Carroll County before moving to California in 1926 with his brother, Paul, and several cousins. They traveled to the West Coast on a secondhand Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

They settled in Ventura and opened a bakery. When his brother left to become a food broker, Mr. Baumgardner turned his attention to tool and die making.

He worked as a machinist and tool and die maker until he retired in 1974.

"He was a skilled craftsman and mechanic," said Ralph Baumgardner of Westminster, his nephew. "He was able to design and build finished pieces from raw materials and also built and designed furniture."

Mr. Baumgardner was an avid gardener and also enjoyed hunting, fishing and bird-watching. He frequently returned to Carroll County to visit relatives.

He was married in 1948 to the former Clifta Brynner, who died in 1984.

He is survived by two sons, John A. Baumgardner and Brian C. Baumgardner, both of Los Angeles; two grandchildren; and several nephews and nieces.

Services were held in California.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.