St. Paul's scores quickly in overtime to get the best of Gilman

April 30, 1994|By Marc Bouchard | Marc Bouchard,Special to The Sun

St. Paul's senior midfielder Billy Ruhl knows what overtime lacrosse is all about.

"Whoever scores first, wins," said Ruhl. "I knew what had to be done."

Ruhl's unassisted goal eight seconds into sudden death gave No. 4 St. Paul's a thrilling 9-8 win over host and No. 2 Gilman yesterday in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association Division I game.

"This win means a lot to the kids," said St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley, whose team lost to Gilman, 10-8, three weeks ago. "We've been working real hard and we're just happy to win this one.

"We're starting to come together and trying to peak for the [MIAA] playoffs [which start May 11]."

Gilman (8-6, 6-2) dominated early.

The Greyhounds bombarded St. Paul's (7-4, 5-3) with nine shots (to the Crusaders' one) and built a 2-0 lead on goals by Scott Banerjee and Lorne Smith.

The Greyhounds continued to control the tempo in the second quarter, outshooting St. Paul's, 7-3, and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

Smith opened the second half with an unassisted goal that gave Gilman a 4-1 lead with 5:36 left in the third quarter.

But senior attackman Jamie Pollock finally got the St. Paul's offense in gear, assisting Ruhl with 4:29 left, and then scoring three straight goals in a three-minute span that gave the Crusaders their first lead at 5-4 with 1:03 left.

Gilman sophomore Chase Martin answered 17 seconds later to send the teams into the final period tied, 5-5.

Gilman took the first lead of the fourth quarter, as Smith scored from 15 feet out 38 seconds into the period.

Pollock forced another tie with a goal with 5:58 left, but Martin scored during a two-man advantage to give Gilman a 7-6 lead with 3:44 left.

St. Paul's sophomore Chris Kakel scored off an acrobatic, one-handed assist from Tucker Radebaugh to make it 7-7 with 1:30 left.

St. Paul's won the ensuing faceoff, called a timeout and set up a play that resulted in Berrier bouncing a shot past Gilman goalie Corey Popham that gave the Crusaders an 8-7 lead with 1:16 left.

But Martin came off a pick and scored with 48 seconds left to force an 8-8 tie, then almost won the game for Gilman with 14 seconds left, but his point-blank shot was stopped by St. Paul's goalie Sean Keenan.

"They'd been shooting high on one-on-ones all day, so I just tried to stay high," said Keenan. "I knew the game was over right

there if I didn't make the save."

Berrier won the faceoff to start overtime, raced toward the

Gilman goal and fired a shot that was blocked by Popham.

The ball bounced off Popham's body and over a crowd of players in front of the crease.

Ruhl snatched the rebound out of the air, stutter-stepped and bounced a shot past Popham to end the game.

"I saw the ball bounce off the goalie and all I could think was 'I hope someone gets the rebound'," said Berrier. "A second later, Ruhl grabbed it and put it in."

Pollock finished with a game-high four goals and one assist. Martin and Smith each scored three goals for Gilman.

"That was just a great high school lacrosse game," said Gilman coach John Tucker. "Both teams played real hard and we just came up a little short."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.