Anne Arundel goes OT to defeat Essex, 16-15

April 29, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

Jim Shuck got the answers he wanted yesterday.

With his Anne Arundel Community College women's lacrosse team coming off two humbling defeats, he wondered if the Pioneers would be up for Essex CC.

Had their confidence been shaken by losses to Maryland and Virginia B teams by a combined score of 42-4? And could they put their failures behind them and focus on the visiting Knights?

In a game filled with offensive flurries and several big individual performances, Anne Arundel gave up the last four goals in regulation, then took a 16-15 overtime victory when Kristy Moltz scored during the first of two three-minute sessions.

Moltz, a graduate of South River, finished with five goals and one assist. Angie Burnett (Annapolis) added four goals and three assists, and Robin Quinton (Severn) had three goals and three assists.

Essex, which brought just 12 players and couldn't substitute, was led by Noele Mitchell with eight goals.

The Knights (11-3) weren't bothered by the heat or a lack of reserves, battling back from a 15-11 deficit in the last six minutes of regulation. Mitchell scored three times despite being closely guarded by Emily Chones (Annapolis), and Erin Schultz got the equalizer on a free-position shot with 56 seconds left.

Both goalkeepers made a save during the first three-minute extra period, before Moltz turned and put in a scoop shot with 9.4 seconds left.

Essex nearly forced sudden-death when Katie Lacy unleashed a shot with 12 seconds remaining in the second session that Wendy Baxter turned into her 21st save.

"I don't think the losses affected them," said Shuck, whose team closes the season with two road games this weekend. "The only thing that affected them is they defeated Essex before, 21-6, and that was in their mind."

The Pioneers (8-2) looked poised to run away from Essex after scoring three quick goals for a 7-3 lead with 16:24 left in the first half, but the Knights responded with four goals and the game's second tie.

Quinton then found Karen Chesley cutting to the net for an 8-7 lead. Burnett scored on a free-position shot to close the half and Anne Arundel eventually built a 14-9 lead with less than 10 minutes remaining, using the same crisp passing that has delighted Shuck all season.

But that's when Essex began controlling the draws, getting the ball down field in a hurry and easing back into contention.

"Whoever got possession off the draw was the one who scored right away," Moltz said. "One after another, they kept getting possession and that's what slowed us down."

Shuck said: "We should have put the game away. It's a momentum game and everything started sliding their way. But we didn't get down. If we had gotten down, we would have lost. But you didn't see the girls dejected.

"It was up for grabs in the last overtime, but I felt we would win it. I felt comfortable they could do it because they're that strong."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.