Boys' Latin shuts door on Hall

April 27, 1994|By Marc Bouchard | Marc Bouchard,Special to The Sun

The statistics from yesterday's match-up between No. 5 Boys' Latin and sixth-ranked Calvert Hall would have you believe that the Lakers rolled to an easy victory.

Boys' Latin out-shot the Cardinals, 30-20, scooped up 47 ground balls to Calvert Hall's 29, and won nine of 13 faceoffs.

But the statistics don't show that the Lakers almost blew a 5-1 lead and needed an ugly goal in the fourth quarter -- their only score of the second half -- to take a 6-4 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association Division II victory over the host Cardinals.

Boys' Latin (12-2, 5-2) jumped out to a 3-0 lead after 5:38 of play on two goals by junior attackman Chris Turner and one by junior midfielder Jeff Kim.

After junior attackman Steven Preis got Calvert Hall (6-6, 3-4) on the board with 1:23 left in the first quarter, junior attackman John Fuller gave the Lakers a 4-1 lead with an extra-man goal with 11 seconds left.

In the first 9 1/2 minutes of the second quarter, neither team could find the net until junior attackman Scott Hochstadt gave Boys' Latin a 5-1 lead with 22 seconds left.

Boys' Latin controlled the ensuing faceoff and threatened to increase its lead but Calvert Hall goalie Strider Dickson made a nice save and started a fast break that enabled freshman attackman Greg Patchak to score with two seconds left in the half and bring the Cardinals to within three goals.

"We had a really nice shot, and [Dickson] made a great save," said Boys' Latin coach Bob Shriver. "We could have gone up 6-1, but instead they got a nice lift right before halftime."

That momentum carried into the third quarter, as the Cardinals -- despite being outshot 9-6 by the Lakers -- got goals from Preis and sophomore midfielder Carey Taylorson to pull within 5-4 heading into the final period.

Four minutes into the fourth quarter, Calvert Hall made a nice clear that resulted in two shots-on-goal by the Cardinals.

But Lakers senior goalie Brandon Mollett stopped both shots, controlling the second, and flung the ball toward midfield, where neither team could gain possession.

The ball bounced past Calvert Hall's defensemen to the restraining line, where Fuller stood all alone.

Fuller scooped up the loose ball and beat Dickson one-on-one with 4:56 left for the final margin.

"It wasn't a beautiful goal, but when you work hard those things happen," said Shriver. "We played good defense and got a break."

It was one of the few shots that Dickson was unable to get his stick, or some part of his body, in front of. The junior made 14 saves, many at point-blank range, to keep Calvert Hall in the game.

"Their goalie played very well," said Shriver. "We had a lot of nice shots, and he really kept them in it."

"I thought we gave the game away," said Calvert Hall coach Mike Thomas. "I don't think we played at the level we are capable of playing at."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.