Roland Park slips by Mt. Hebron

April 24, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

The game came down to one whistle in the final 28 seconds.

No. 2 Roland Park held onto its one-goal lead over No. 6 Mount Hebron even though Lynette Chastant appeared to tie it on a free-position goal.

Instead, a controversial call for an off-the-ball hold erased Chastant's goal. Jen Stocker drew the call for holding back defender Kellie MacDougal with her elbow. MacDougal got the ball, and the Vikings never got another chance.

The Reds (9-0) held on to edge Mount Hebron, 11-10, yesterday and avenge last year's loss in the championship game of the Roland Park North-South Tournament.

Vikings coach P.J. Kesmodel couldn't deny the foul, but he disagreed with the call.

"I just think it's a non-call," he said. "My personal opinion is the kid knew she did it and [the official] had every right to make that call, but normally if it's going to decide a game, you don't make that call in the last 30 seconds of the game."

The foul snapped a three-goal Vikings rally from 11-7 down with nine minutes left in the game.

The Reds used their draw control and a smooth transition game to score four of the first five goals of the second half and take a 10-6 lead. Melissa Cully scored on a free position and fed Elizabeth Rodgers for two goals. Peggy Boutilier found Rodgers for a third as the Reds appeared ready to roll.

While the Reds struck in transition, the Vikings (8-2) relied on their set offense. The momentum swung when the Vikings started coming up with the draws and running down to set up.

Even though they scored three straight goals to get back in the game, the Vikings had some difficulty with the Reds' tight coverage and double teams.

"We were completely ready for them," said Reds defender Meredith Shuey. "We were ready for their rolls. They're strong shooters. They hit the corners. You just have to get to them

before they can get their shot off."

The defense of Shuey, Susanna Pitts, Ridgely Bennett, center Boutilier and rotating defense wings MacDougal, Virginia Hodges, Kelly Sloan and Linda Rothemund denied the roll to Hebron guns Cathy Nelson (two goals) and Dani Vissers (three goals) much of the game.

"They have the presence of mind this year that they really didn't have last year," said Reds coach Wendy Kridel. "They played smart and they were patient -- they let Mount Hebron bring the ball to them and they took it away. They came up with the big ground balls and the interceptions when they needed to."

Unfortunately, the Reds allowed those three goals in a row late. But when Nelson tried to roll again a few minutes later, Reds keeper Melissa Coyne (eight saves) snuffed the shot. The Vikings' only other shot came on Chastant's free position.

The Reds, who beat Haverford (Pa.), 9-3, in the semifinal, made perhaps their biggest run of the game when they scored four of the final five goals of the first half. Ridgely Bennett found her sister Lizzy and then scored on a free position to tie at 4-4 with 5:36 left.

After Chastant gave Hebron a brief lead, the Reds came up with two goals in the final 55 seconds.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.