Brown's nine saves pace St. Mary's past Boys' Latin

April 23, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

No. 5 Boys' Latin converted three extra-man opportunities in yesterday's matchup with No. 3 St. Mary's, but it was the one that got away that enabled the homestanding Saints to escape Weems Whalen Field with an 8-7 victory.

With St. Mary's defensemen Joe Keenan and Thad Schmidt occupying the penalty box late in the fourth quarter for holding and slashing, respectively, visiting Boys' Latin had what appeared to be a perfect chance at knotting the score.

The Lakers did manage to get off five shots in that 90-second span, but four of those found the webbing of Jim Brown's stick. The Saints' senior keeper finished with nine saves and afterward drew praise from the head coaches of both Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference teams.

"Jim made some key saves there in the fourth quarter . . .," said Saints coach Jim Moorhead. "You win these kinds of games when your goalie can come up big and you're able to handle the ball in your offensive half in crunch time."

Boys' Latin coach Bob Shriver put partial blame for the loss on the officiating but gave Brown credit, too.

"We had five good shots there at the end and Brown made some terrific saves," said Shriver. "He stepped up when he had to."

So did the Saints junior attackman Dan Collins and sophomore attackman Dan Marohl.

With St. Mary's leading scorer Matt Clune roaming the sidelines with a strained back, Collins stepped forward and had four goals and one assist and Marohl added two goals, including the game-winner on a feed from Collins.

Boys' Latin (11-2, 4-2) controlled the faceoffs, ground balls and scoreboard in the first quarter as it opened up a 3-0 lead. Tim Berger found the net first for the Lakers on a feed from Jeff Jeffers. Then Tim Roberts and Scott Hochstadt each scored a goal.

St. Mary's (9-2, 5-2) tied the game 5:17 into the second quarter after two unassisted goals by Collins and another from Todd Vizcarrondo.

An extra-man goal by junior attackman John Fuller and a second goal by Roberts put the Lakers up by two goals momentarily before Myles Conway cut the Lakers' halftime lead to 5-4 with an unassisted goal with 1:38 remaining.

After a scoreless third quarter, the Saints made their move on the visitors and took their first lead, 6-5, on Collins' fourth and final goal.

Boys' Latin tied the game twice in the final 4:13 before the Saints regained the lead for good on Marohl's second goal.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.