No. 6 Hopkins extends mastery over Navy, 12-11

April 23, 1994|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Sun Staff Writer

It was a familiar story for Navy last night in its long lacrosse rivalry with Johns Hopkins.

The Mids lost for the 20th straight time, 12-11, on Youth Night before 5,826 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

The last time Navy beat Hopkins was 1974, when Bob Scott was in his final year as Blue Jays coach.

Navy (6-5), tied for No. 11 with Hofstra, came within a whisker of an upset. After No. 6 Hopkins (6-3) took a 12-9 lead with 2:42 left, Navy scored the game's final two goals. Charles Bertrand scored with 34 seconds left to make it 12-11, but the Blue Jays gained possession and ran out the clock.

For Navy, the key goal was the one that wasn't. In the third quarter, Rob Bailey golfed in a rebound. One official signaled it good, another disallowed it.

"You can't get much closer than that, a one-goal game and a goal that wasn't allowed," said Navy coach Bryan Matthews.

Struggling to keep his temper and emotions in check, Matthews refused to comment on the disallowed goal.

"I'm proud of the team," he said. "Hopkins capitalized on some of our mistakes, but we fought back every time. You can't ask for any more."

The teams were within a goal of each other until early in the third quarter when Hopkins scored three straight, two by Brian Piccola and one by Terry Riordan, for a 9-6 advantage.

Piccola finished with five goals for Hopkins and Bailey had four for Navy. Piccola had a career-high six (and four assists) against Navy two years ago in the same stadium.

"This is a great place to play and the crowd was unreal," Piccola said. "That brought out the intensity on both sides. When there's intensity like that, I like it."

The defeat, even though close, may have ended Navy's chances of making the 12-team NCAA tournament. The Mids have only one victory over a top-10 team (No. 10 Towson State), and also beat No. 13 Delaware and No. 20 Army. A win over unranked Stony Brook in their lone remaining game would do little to improve their status.

Even with the victory, Hopkins probably needs to win its remaining three games against Hofstra on Tuesday, Towson State next Saturday and Loyola on May 7 to secure a first-round bye and the homefield advantage for a quarterfinal game.

Hopkins coach Tony Seaman was none too thrilled with the win, but said he would accept it. He noted with disgust that Hopkins out-shot Navy, 48-29, that it had leads of 11-7 and 12-9 and that of Navy's six first-half goals, four were on rebounds. And it winds up as a one-goal game?

"We were ugly," Seaman said. "But we've got to be happy. A win is a win."

The first half was tight throughout. The score was tied six times, the last at 6, and neither team ever led by more than a goal.

Bailey had three first-half goals for Navy and Peter Jacobs, Johns Hopkins' faceoff specialist and No. 5 scorer, scored two.

Eric Kapitulik, a Navy junior defenseman, scored his first goal of the season and second of his career to tie it at 5. Jacobs and Bailey then traded goals, leaving the score tied at 6.

NOTES: Against common opponents (Army, Maryland, Virginia and Washington College), Hopkins was 3-1, Navy 2-2. Both lost to Virginia and Navy also lost to Maryland. . . . Attackmen Riordan and Piccola have scored almost half of Hopkins' goals and are high on the school's all-time goals list. Riordan, a junior who entered the game with 111, is No. 4 behind Franz Wittelsberger (151), Michael O'Neill (138) and Jeff Cook (128). Piccola is No. 8. . . . Two Blue Jays played with injuries for the second straight game -- Riordan (fractured thumb) and sophomore midfielder Milford Marchant (separated shoulder).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.