Burning roll of tissue empties school

April 22, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

The 1,250 students at South Carroll High School were evacuated for 55 minutes yesterday after someone ignited a roll of toilet paper in a second-floor bathroom.

The resulting fire inexplicably sent smoke throughout the F and G sections of the school, in the 1300 block of W. Old Liberty Road, about 1:40 p.m., but fire officials said it appeared that there was no other damage.

Dr. Robert Bowden, an assistant principal, said he was told of smoke in a hallway at the western end of the school and sounded the alarm to evacuate the students, staff and teachers, and alert the fire department.

Firefighters from the nearby Winfield station found the fire in a toilet paper dispenser in the boy's restroom in the science area and quickly extinguished it.

No one was injured.

Dr. Bowden said about seven fire drills have been held at the school this semester, and he noted that the evacuation was orderly.

Because the alarm came from a school, firefighters from Mount Airy, Sykesville, Westminster and Lisbon of Howard County were dispatched. Three medic units and the rescue squads from Mount Airy and Sykesville also responded to the alarm.

Dr. Bowden said whoever set the fire could face suspension or expulsion if identified and apprehended.

A deputy fire marshal was dispatched to investigate the incident.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.