No. 6 Annapolis cruises past Arundel, 17-6

April 20, 1994|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Sun Staff Writer

Annapolis' Cristi Samaras entered the game with 33 goals and teammate Karen Hunt came in with 11.

Care to venture a guess who attracted the most attention when the Panthers played Arundel yesterday?

Partly as a result of Arundel's concentration on Samaras, Hunt had four goals by halftime and No. 6 Annapolis (7-1) cruised to a 17-6 victory over the unranked Wildcats (6-2). It was every bit as decisive as Annapolis' 17-4 win over Arundel last year.

"I think we can hang with them," Arundel coach Christine Fellona said before the game. "Their strengths are all over the field, but two players are dominant -- Samaras and [goalie Kate] Brew. That doesn't mean we'll have tunnel vision. We'll have to watch out for the other players."

Hunt, obviously, was one. The junior attack did most of her damage early, providing half of Annapolis' 8-1 halftime lead.

She scored no more after that, but others did, as 10 Panthers had at least one goal. Samaras, who has led the county in scoring the past two seasons, had three goals and four assists.

"It opens it up for others when Cristi attracts attention," said Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes. "This isn't a one-player team."

Praising, in particular, Annapolis' offense, Fellona "wasn't surprised someone else stepped up," referring to Hunt's first-half eruption. Shut down Samaras and that's bound to happen on a good team.

Annapolis had won six straight until edged last week by No. 1 Severna Park, 8-6. The Panthers had only one goal in the first half yet still was behind by only a goal, and had possession, with two minutes left.

"We played well in that game, so things have been upbeat since even though we lost," Gehrdes said. "We bounced back real well today."

Katie Hanburger, Arundel's leading scorer who's playing with a broken finger, was shackled until late in the game.

Annapolis had a 15-2 lead before Hanburger scored the first of her two goals to raise her season's total to 22.

The game's final three scores, all by Arundel, came against Annapolis' reserves with only a few minutes remaining.

"I think at first we were scared and intimidated," Fellona said.

Arundel's pain was eased by the goals at the end, even if they weren't scored against the virtually impenetrable Brew.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.