Annapolis gets past Arundel in overtime

April 20, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Annapolis coach Dan Hart was giving out all kinds of awards last night after watching his homestanding and ninth-ranked Panthers claw their way to a 13-12 overtime victory over No. 10 Arundel.

To senior midfielder Morgan Hurt, who won numerous faceoffs including the final draw that set up Taylor Boone's winning goal 15 seconds into overtime, he gave the "High School Faceoff Man of the Year Award."

Hart gave junior attackman Eric Morgan the "Mr. Clutch Award" for the poise he exhibited under pressure as he sent the game into overtime with the unassisted tying goal with seven seconds left in regulation.

Hart overlooked Scott Regina when he was passing out titles but he didn't miss any of the four goals he produced. Nor was he unaware that Boone finished the night with two goals and six assists.

"These fans really got their money's worth tonight," said Hart. "They saw that scoreboard really get lit up tonight."

Arundel got five goals from Keith Sharp and three goals and four assists from Mike Hartel.

"The second half we went out to win and we won a great deal of it but we didn't win the end," said Arundel coach Clint Gosnell. "Take away a few mistakes and a few calls and we win this game."

* St. Mary's 14, Mount St. Joseph 3: No. 8 Mount St. Joe came out flat and third-ranked St. Mary's practically put the game away by halftime in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

"We definitely had a lot of respect for them, but they never really had a chance to get in the game," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead, who could find little to complain about as his team opened up a 9-1 halftime lead.

"We shot well and we had the ball about 14 minutes of the first half. I think we kind of wore them out a little bit."

Myles Conway, who led all scorers with three goals and two assists, got the Saints started with the first of his three unassisted goals and Matt Clune (three goals, one assist) made it a 2-0 game when he converted a pass from Dan Collins (one, two).

The second quarter was all St. Mary's. The Saints scored five unanswered goals to make it 9-1 at the half.

The Saints owned a 33-9 edge in shots and a 14-3 advantage on faceoffs. Ten different St. Mary's players scored with single goals coming from Dan Collins, Todd Vizcarrondo, Ryan Beard, Tassos Sfondouris, Kevin Gattie, Dan Marohl, Greg Carobrese and Kevin Sturm.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.